First Piece

I like this...

one part of me is reminded of a beatles tune, somehow, some way... particularly in the opening seconds...

another part of me, just after the opening seconds, hears a teensy bit of "clapton, old slowhand" in the guitar bends, lol... (I liked that...lol)

yet another part of me hears something bluesy, spiritual-like about the overall thing....

to me, for my moneys worth... you "capture" the signature clapton "sound" for a few seconds, just after the opening chords... while I dont suggest you are ripping him off, rather I would suggest "who BETTER to shoot for" as a bluesy style... if you could just "hold onto" that "old slowhand thingy" a litle bit longer... (which is, I know, a tall order... I mean, who BUT clapton sounds like clapton, eh? Well, you HAD him nailed for a few seconds there...)

I'm impressed. Your blues playing is in patches extremely emotional and expressive... moreover, your not accomplishing it by simply playing fast... your doing it by playing WELL... and while I know your shooting for your own style and place in the music world, naturally... havign someone say "jesus, he sounds just like Clapton!!" is not a bad thing, by any stretch, I should think...

Thanks for the kind words, to be honest I didn't think it was that good just something I threw together. Do you have any ideas on how I can move past the intro and into the rest of the song, I have no idea cause I want the rest of the song to be fairly up tempo and not as slow as the beginning.

Do you have any ideas on how I can move past the intro and into the rest of the song, I have no idea cause I want the rest of the song to be fairly up tempo and not as slow as the beginning.

If you're interested in keeping the chord progression the same and want to speed it up, you could just hang on the last chord for a bit at the point your want to end the intro, then introduce a drum beat that's gonna set the groove, (I find using halftime for the intro of your decided song tempo works best). You could keep the chord hanging for a few bars of drums, then kick your chord progression back in, or just start the chord progression again when the drums are introduced... your call.

HTH,
Ryan

Well considering that it's my first piece with my new stuff any feedback good or bad, positive or negative would be good, also I am looking for a way to move the song forward and start it to be more up tempo but not too sure how to make that transition.

OK - so if you're looking for feedback on the recording elements itself, then the MP3 clinic is a better place to go.

If you want help with composing the track itself then that's a bit harder - basically what you have so far is 43 seconds of pleasant, but relatively ambient, guitar noodling over a very, very common 4 chord sequence - I can see how you might use that as the starter for any number of things - all depends where your tastes lie and what gear you have to execute it with.... and whether it's to be a song or an instrumental...

I'm not sure what key you're playing in and I'm at work so can't grab a guitar/keyboard to work it out, so I'll assume it's D... (if not, just transpose to suit...)

In terms of moving it up tempo, you have the option to just speed up the current chord change and make it a bit faster, and give it a different feel, but that may be a little boring, or do something new. Try this..

Now what you have so far is

D A Bm G
1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 whilst you're noodling

So if you want to rock it up a bit from this point, put your foot on the accelarator a bit in terms of pace, use a dirtier guitar on rhythm and try this next:

D A Bm D A Bm D A Bm E A E A
1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 rpt until you get sick of it, then do something else..

Send me a royalty cheque....

It's nice and melodic, but I think the string sound is a little too "compact". If the strings were a little "vaguer", less electronic sounding, more like real strings, it would be a lot better. Then you could bring in some other instruments, maybe shift the key?

Back