First Pics of Studio / Room Treatment Question...

fireandglass

I just moved all the gear into my new studio and im weighing out all my options for acoustic treatment. Ive been referred to ATS acoustics and i was planning on building my own versions of there 2x4 and 2x2 panels with owens corning 703. The general dimensions of the room are 21x17 with 9 foot ceilings. I plan on primarily using it to record alternative/rock music. The side room with the 2 chairs is going to be the mixing area and i plan on keeping it open like that an hanging moving blankets or something for isolation when were tracking drums. Any suggestions or opinions on my situation would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

IMG_1974.jpg

IMG_1975.jpg

IMG_1976.jpg

IMG_1978.jpg

IMG_1979.jpg

IMG_1980.jpg

IMG_1982.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

IMG_1984.jpg

IMG_1985.jpg

IMG_1986.jpg

IMG_1988.jpg

I have a room that is 32 by 15 with a mix nook.
I did all the panels myself and thought it would be too much so I hung them on rails so I could move them around.
But it ended up sounding wonderfull just the way it was.

Pics at :
www.tmixstudio.com

I ended up putting in a vocal booth and drum room.

Holy crap man. I don't know anything about sound treatment, as I just posted a similar thread, but your gear is NICE! Love the Rhodes and organ and that drumset looks the tops!

Oh yeah, and the girls aren't bad either!

thanks man! there is a musicman hd130 2x12 combo and an orange ad30 head in the shop right now (hence the void on the roadcase and orange cab).....and come on, you cant make pizza with the sauce if ya know what i mean :p

I used Roxul Acoustical Bats and made my own. Was cheaper than buying premade. I was going to do a write up on making them, but never did. Here are some pics. Im actually getting ready to make about 18 more this fall. I have my control/mixing room covered now, but my live room is now bare walled. My live room is roughly 30' x 30' and I think 18 would be a good start. The Acoustics are surprisingly good in the bare room. But treating it will only make it better. With the live room you dont want to go too crazy (from what Ive read) or you will make it too dead. But in a mixing/control room, the more the better. When you walk into my treated room, its like your brains are getting sucked out of your ears.

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

Last edited:
that is literally exactly what i would like to do. what size wood did you use? did you use burlap to cover them? how did you hang the ones in the corner? this is a great help thanks

I guess I did post a quick how to a while back. Here is the post I did. The cost was about $24 per panel and I did have alot of wood left over so a realistic amount would be $20 per

Didnt take long at all. Maybe and hour. Next ones will be quicker. I will assembly line them. Im using 2" Roxul 60 panels (2' x 4'). For the lumber I used 1x3 premium furing strips (Lowes). I cut those at 4' for the sides and 25 1/2" for the top and bottom. I joined those by utilizing a corner clamp and 1 1/2" drywall screws. I pre-drilled and c'sank the holes for a flush finish. I then rounded all sharp edges. Next I stretched and stapled the burlap (JoAnn Fabrics). Then I placed the Roxul panels in. They were a nice tight fit. When I was at Lowes I bought some 24" insulation hangers. I thaught they would be over 24 " wide, and went ahead and got them. Well they are exactly 24". They are designed for 24" on center building applications and are put in between the joists (with a bow in them) to hold up insulation. So I was thinking at least 25". Nope !!! But I got them to work by drilling some holes for them to stick into the corners. The next one I will staple some old 1/8" molding I have onto the inside (at 3 places) to shrink the inside dimension so I can put the wires straight across. I will post a pic of the next one. I am making 16 of these (1/2 black and 1/2 white) to go with the red walls in the control room. The black ones I am going to paint the wood edge facing out black. You can see from the picture the wood showing through. Anyway, Im gonna head back out and get some more done.

Back