first new recording in a decade

transmothra

I've been away from music for a long time, for a number of reasons, but i just recently got back into it, and have finally started recording on an old song i wrote. I'm using Reaper now (this is my first recording with it). It's not totally finished just yet, but i was wanting some feedback re: my current working mix. All i have are some Roland DM-10 monitors and AKG K-44 cans, and i just can't make out any bass with any degree of accuracy, so i suspect it sounds pretty awful in that regard. Maybe it's way too trebly too.

Feedback/critiques extremely welcome and appreciated!

(there are previous stabs at a rough mix on my SoundCloud page)

There's a big midrange buildup that makes the mix grating to listen to. It's in your acoustic and electric guitars mostly, but might be increased by whatever compression or limiting you've got going on. I'd start by knocking that back.

The vocal is getting buried. For me, it needs to come up or else the supporting tracks come down. I'm not hearing the bass too well. Rhythmically, it could be tighter. The drummer could take a chill pill, simplify his part, and just focus on holding down the beat.

Welcome to the Clinic! I hope you'll listen and comment.

Thanks! Is this better?

I actually like the drum arrangement. Some of the fills are meh, but the basic part i'm pretty much married to, as i've heard it this way in my head for ages before finally putting it down.

There's no acoustic guitars, either, it's just that i sometimes mic the neck toward the headstock when i'm recording electric guitars, in case i want to add in some shimmer or give the impression that there's an acoustic somewhere.

The vocals can be heard now, the bass is more audible ,some parts gets buried, the overall feels muffled,(listening with headphones so not the most appropriate) possibly some further EQing, I'm no expert so others might gives you some tips that might help on that direction. I really like the vocals and the arrangements though :)

it sounds a little like joan of arc or jane's addiction with the complex/syncopated drumming. i like it complex like that and think it fits the style and would say don't change it. i do agree with robus that it's too midrangey -- i hear that problem in the high mids on the acoustic guitar. it's simply too bright. great job writing the song. this is up my alley style wise.

edit: just heard the new mix. you fixed the bright mid range, but now it's muddy.

in the original you only had to dial back the upper mids a few db, imo. you did something overboard, imo.

Most of the buildup in those use-with-caution midrange frequencies is gone. Overall the mix does not sound as hyped. I'm assuming you dialed down whatever dynamics processing was on your master bus. Vocals still not cutting through well enough. I cannot make out much of what you are singing--I'm the guy who wants to understand every word of a song's lyrics.

Great feedback, thanks everyone! I can't tell you how much i appreciate the critical listen. I'll work on it later tonight.

Is this better? Or worse? Thanks again, tremendously appreciated!!

Lol. It's a bit like being at the eye doctor...is this better, or worse....better, or worse? Sometimes it gets hard to tell.

In this case I do think it's better. It's a good blend of the first two mixes. Not as brittle as the first, nor as muddy as the second.

I might consider nudging the vocals up a bit and/or the guitars down on this mix, but leave things otherwise the same and see where that gets you.

I think it's getting better.

In this case I do think it's better. It's a good blend of the first two mixes. Not as brittle as the first, nor as muddy as the second.

exactly what I thought.

I would consider dropping some instruments out over sections. It sounds like a lot of things are piling on top of each other and clarity becomes lost. That's just my opinion. I also think there is excessive reverb on stuff...those clacks (sorry, i don't know what instrument that is exactly) are drenched in it, and the closer I listen, I think most things are. It becomes kind of washy and indistinct.

How is reverb being applied here?

Really cool song, I love the reverb, a bit like The Killing Moon? The bass and rhythm guitars sound pretty loud on my headphones. Actually Killing Moon might not be a bad reference track, it's got some similar elements.

Back