First new recording for awhile - what do you all think?

bigmahon

Still learning
Hi friends,

I've been real busy with work and family lately, and haven't had much time to record. I did manage to crank this one out though, and would appreciate your thoughts and guidance.

Johnny's Song

Cheers,

Chris :)

Last edited:
it almost feels like you need another acoustic track and get them panned away from each other. There is some mud in the low end somewhere. I think its from the acoustic. Maybe some eq? The vocals are great but still need a little bit of work. The tone and sound of the vocals are great its just you need to use that second voice more sparingly. In the chorus it sounds like that extra voice is just a little high. I dont think the electric guitar needs a pan. Or you could pan that second electric to the same side as the other electric for a more natural distortion sound. Yea, the distortion is a bit much. Is this you playing drums or a program, or is this a band? This is great. I know I had a lot of critique but that means that I liked it. Thanks for sharing.

Hi friends,

I've been real busy with work and family lately, and haven't had much time to record. I did manage to crank this one out though, and would appreciate your thoughts and guidance.

Johnny's Song

Cheers,

Chris :)

I like it man. The imagery and lyrics are awesome. The mix sounds good on my computer speakers, but the vocals are really high in the mix. I'd suggest turning them down a bit.

drums are pretty awful imo....way too quiet and boxy, the kick sounds like a cardboard box...the guitars need more width and everything needs to come up to the vocals level...kinda sounds like it was recorded off the radio at the moment, apart from the lead vocals..wish I could hear the bass more as I like the tone of it

sorry if that seems harsh, Im no expert and could be completely wrong...the actual song and performance are brilliant..a real Johny Cash feel to it and the vocal tone is spot on

This is a good song, and the performance is really good. The mixing could be better. The verses sound like everything is panned dead center except the back up vocals, so it almost sounds like listening to a song in mono. The result is a recording that has no breadth. I'd work on spreading things out a little, and I think that would help a lot.

I really like the bass line. It meshes well with the acoustic.

Right before the line "He kept a Bible by his bed." I think I heard a loud lip smack.

Do you have both the distorted guitar and the backup vocals panned left? That seems to be a strange decision. It means that a lot of stuff comes in on the left all at once without anything balancing it on the right (until the lead comes in). Maybe if you switched the lead and backup vocals around?

Overall, it's a really cool song though. It's got a good, driving rhythm and solid lyrics.

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for listening and replying! I agree with the general consensus that the vocals need work on many levels. I don't have much time, but I'll keep trying! ;)

Any other thoughts on the instruments or the song itself?

Chris

eh the vocals were excellent...just panned a bit hard at one point

spread the guitars out, bring up the bass and drums, EQ the snare and kick...and bobs yer uncle :)

OK, thanks kcearl! :)

I got a couple comments about vocal production quality on another forum, so just double checking.

I programmed for rim shots instead of snare hits during the verses. Mistake? :confused:

Back