First Music Video, would love some feedback :)

TheAquired

Hi everyone,
I thought I might just put this up here seeing that so many people have helped me along the way of learning how to do some basic recording. Thanks to all the help, my band has now just finished our first music video and it uses the demo I recorded. (we're high school students going to study film next year as well, so i guess we meshed our passions)

Let me know what you think :)

P.S. I wasnt too sure where to put this, so i hope this forum is ok. Also, in case you are wondering, i'm the guitarist, not the singer.

This is great work, especially for high school students. :) Y'all should be proud.

One thing I'll say, in terms of the audio, is that you'll get a much nicer tone from the acoustic (IMHO) if you mic it instead of recording direct. It sounds very clear the way it is now, but it's lacking body and depth, which a mic is surely to provide.

But great job overall!

Wow thanks for the positive feedback famous beagle :) I'll try that with the song we're busy trying to record now. I only have one mic though, so I hope it will capture the sound nicely.

Thank you!

Wow this is great guys. Stunning camerawork and your performance and recording is really tight. Keep it up!

Its a Sennheiser e815s

Thanks dainbramage!

That's a dynamic mic (forgive me if you know that already), which is a good all-purpose mic, especially well-suited for live vocals. You can certainly try that on the acoustic guitar, and it may do the job. It's not as detailed-sounding though as a condenser mic, which is much more sensitive. They can run the gamut in price from $40 to .... pretty much as much as you want to spend ($10K or more), but you can get perfectly acceptable results with one under $100.

Out of curiosity, did you record the drum kit and the vocals on the demo with that one mic?

Any of these options for condenser mics (all well under $100) would do a great job to start:

Behringer C-1 Condenser Mic | Musician's Friend

Sterling Audio ST51 Large Diaphragm FET Condenser Microphone | Musician's Friend

The added benefit is that you can use them on lots of things: vocals, acoustic guitar, piano, drums, percussion, etc. They really shine on "acoustic" instruments. You can mic a guitar cabinet too with good results, although dynamic mics are more often used in that regard.

Condensers are more delicate, so you have to be more careful with them. You don't want to drop them, etc. Also, they require phantom power, which is often supplied by a mic preamp or sometimes by an interface with a preamp. I'd be happy to answer any questions in this regard if you were interested and needed any help.

Anyway, this won't be a subtle difference. It'll be quite noticeable, and I think you'll really like the results. The only thing, obviously, is that you have to have a quite place to do it. But you've recorded vocals, obviously, so you've dealt with that.

Thanks for the info!
I do know about condenser and dynamic and ribbon and all that, although I am never 100% sure which is which, so no problem. Haha yes, I recorded the vocals with that mic, however the drums are MIDI programmed drums, and I just used drum samples to make it sound realistic.

My interface has phantom power (I have the Scarlett 2i2) And I've used condensers extensively to mic stuff up at live gigs. (I do a fair amount of sound engineering for live bands around here). I may be able to borrow one from a friend, so I'll try that. Thanks for the links, I'll look at buying my own one some time.

I have my own little studio room where I have hung curtains along the walls to get rid of the echo, so that is where we recorded.

Just by the way (I'm assuming you might think i'm american with all the dollars) we are South African. i'll look at getting a mic in the same price range (about R500 - R1000) that you were talking about.

Thanks for all the help! I will post a thread with my newest song when its done, maybe you'd be interested in hearing it.

Thanks for the info!
I do know about condenser and dynamic and ribbon and all that, although I am never 100% sure which is which, so no problem. Haha yes, I recorded the vocals with that mic, however the drums are MIDI programmed drums, and I just used drum samples to make it sound realistic.

My interface has phantom power (I have the Scarlett 2i2) And I've used condensers extensively to mic stuff up at live gigs. (I do a fair amount of sound engineering for live bands around here). I may be able to borrow one from a friend, so I'll try that. Thanks for the links, I'll look at buying my own one some time.

I have my own little studio room where I have hung curtains along the walls to get rid of the echo, so that is where we recorded.

Just by the way (I'm assuming you might think i'm american with all the dollars) we are South African. i'll look at getting a mic in the same price range (about R500 - R1000) that you were talking about.

Thanks for all the help! I will post a thread with my newest song when its done, maybe you'd be interested in hearing it.

I was wondering about the drums possibly being MIDI, but it's hard to tell these days. I was certainly going to be amazed if you'd gotten that sound with one dynamic mic! :)

Sure, I'd love to check out the new song. Best of luck! :)

Back