First music post! Please critique!

enamore22

Hey everybody. I've been reading these boards for a while, but this is my first post. I finished up a song the other night and I was hoping to get some critiques from all of you. Let me know what you think (about the song and recording)!!!

Sincerely,
- Chris

Not bad, but I kept waiting for it to "take off", which it never did. I think it would make a good intro to something more lively. I like the dark, "roomy" piano sound. Please tell me that the vocal sounds tinny (the "telephone" effect) because you wanted it to sound tinny, and not because you're using a SoundBlaster microphone!

Your vocal could use some work. The stoned/comatose vibe reminds me of the Alan Parsons Project. But it doesn't convince me, if you know what I mean. When you're singing, don't think about singing (and especially don't think about recording); think about the message you're trying to get across. This is a challenge when you're the talent and the producer and the engineer; but it is what the home recordist must do.

The song leaves me wanting more, which is both good and bad. It may be an indication that it's too short, or, as I indicated above, that it should really be part of a larger work.

Chris -

In general I would have to agree with the above. It's a nice song, but I was anxiously waiting for a chorus or bridge to open this up and drive something to me. Give us more contrast!

Nice job.

Sk8

Sorry to re-hash what has already been said. This reminds of the short, atmospheric first track that some albums start with. Recent example: the new Brand New album. It's good by itself, would be better with some development, and probably best if used in the aforementioned context.

Thanks for listening! The track definately isn't meant to stand alone, but rather be placed in the context of an album (as many of you have noticed). I should've specified. :) The trailing synth on the end is left to merge into the next track.

And the vocal effect is supposed to sound like a message being left on an answering machine in a belated effort to reach out to someone. They were just recorded on an SM58 and effected in Cool Edit Pro.

The rest of the song was created in Reason and mixed in Cool Edit.

Thanks again for checking it out!

-Chris

Thats pretty cool, but now I am itching to hear the next track!

What setup were you using? And I also love the piano sound.

Cheers

Back