First mix

signpainter

I just got done with the first mix of 4 songs for a demo for a 3 piece local band. Being a 3 piece, I tried to have the bass provide a little wider foundation than normal, but I think I need to remix these and pull back a bit on the bass. Any other glaring problems other than the tuning?
Thanx for your help,
Vern
http://www.vernsgarage.com/back/sticky.html

Painter,

I think that Candyman is cool. This one seems to have been mixed the best. Sounds like all of the elements are there, with a little work on the mix. I like the gal's voice too. I usually don't. You should be happy with your first mix. I know that the second will be even better. The vocals and the guitar seem to have a good balance along with the drums. The bass booms a bit much right now, but you are onto that already. I was listening in some phones, so the bass was bumpin me out of my chair a little. Good Luck.

Fangar

Hey Painter,
I also like canyman. She has a nice voice. I think the mix is pretty good. the bass player is very good. My first mix, didn't come out that well. Keep up the good work..
Jason

Can't add much to what's already been said, though I'll add my opinion that Candyman is a darn good mix. I'm not entirely sure if you want to pull the bass back as much as back off on the boominess so that it has clarity and punch, while still filling in the low end.

Now I may just be deaf, but I assumed that when you said it was a 3 piece that it would have real drums. I've never heard real drums sound so much like a machine. Those snare hits all sound the same! Either that is one precise (and somewhat boring) drummer or...electronic drums? Drum machine? I dunno- something about the drums bothers me. They have almost no dynamics, at least not as much as they could have for this kind of song.

Man, I really want to hear this song with some sensative drumming! It could be soooo tasty...

Mixwise, though, this is a good effort! Nail that bass down and you'll have a really solid mix.

Take care,
Chris

Hi Painter.
Yeah, I have to agree with everyone else. Candyman is really good and the lady does a very good job on it.
I always liked the version Sammy Davis Jr. did. One of the reasons was ',,, and you can eat the dishes'.
Nice, real nice.

I liked 'Waistin' also. It sounded a bit cluttered in places.
I'm not familar with all the parlance of recording yet, so that's the best I can do. Sorry.
Again, the lady's voice comes through.
Personally, I like a strong bass on trios.
The guitar work was good.
I was listening to the drums on both of the above mentioned songs for what Chris had mentioned. Sorry, but I can't tell the difference. Just sounded good.

Revelation is another good song.
Again, I found it cluttered in areas. I don't mean to much music, it just sounded like the instruments were bumping into each other.

Oh, I liked Can't Stop. Lyrics, voice, instruments. Sounded like a fine mix to me.
The only let down I had was around the 2:00 mark. I was waiting for a soaring lead solo there.

Some good songs there, Painter. Like I said, I don't know much about mixing yet, but the songs are good.

Thanx for your comments!
I remixed these and put the new ones up on the page for comparison.

Fangar/Chris: Yep, definition definantly tightened it up. Your on about the drums, I replaced the drummers thin picalo snare <sp?> with a sample in Drumagog (couldn't get the drummer back in to retrack to easily and didn't think the picalo really fit this style of music).

badgas: I agree on the lead you were waiting for! But, in the end, I was merely recording them. We did offer some suggestions that they were very open to.

The bass isn't 'verbed with the rest of the mix, which makes it sound a little out of place. You're probably trying to maintain that bright bass tone; I think it'll sound fine with some reverb on it (maybe less verb on the vocals will help to unify the whole room situation too)...

What's going on @ 0:25? Like, right at 0:25? Two basslines? It doesn't really stick out, I just happened to notice it... what is that?

I'd raise the guitar a bit... the snare is overpowering it right now, and it gets... forgotten as the song goes along.

1) Bass too clean. 2) More guitar in the mix. 3) Drop snare down a bit (?). 4) Get the 'verb from each track to work together (try getting a good dry mix, then 'verbing, then go to the original tracks and tweak each with supplimental verb, then apply the reverb you liked for the general mix again and see how you do there...)

http://www.vernsgarage.com yyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeow! ;)

I think the mix sounds fine. Good job. I personally don't dig a reverbed bass. There are many ways to make it blend in nicely.

Fangar

Thanx to all for the replys........I'll be playing with your suggestions on the mixes over the next week or so to see what works and what don't
Thanx again,
Painter

Back