first mix

question444

I am trying to mix a song that my band recorded.

-The first step I have taken is trimming the tracks just enough so that they don't clip (boosted most of them but reduced a couple)
-Now I am planning to move on to compression (especially the bass guitar)
-Once I have the dynamics smoothed out for each track, I will boost each as much as possible before they clip.
-Then, I will pull down whatever is too loud so as to balance the tracks.

Am I on the right track? Thanks.

Everyone does it differently, so you will get mixed opinions

*hates self for stupid pun* ;)

Personally, I would say its important to change the freq range of each instrument in the mix using EQ is a very important step. Compression shouldnt be a standard option, only use it where nessisary.

Depends a lot on how you have recorded it all. Dont worry too much about making it all as loud as possible. You can always boost it all later. Start by making it all a solid volume and dont limit the dynamic range too much with compression to make it louder until a later stage.

Gates, verb, etc there is far too much to go into. Whats your setup?

Everyone does it differently, so you will get mixed opinions

*hates self for stupid pun* ;)

Personally, I would say its important to change the freq range of each instrument in the mix using EQ is a very important step. Compression shouldnt be a standard option, only use it where nessisary.

Depends a lot on how you have recorded it all. Dont worry too much about making it all as loud as possible. You can always boost it all later. Start by making it all a solid volume and dont limit the dynamic range too much with compression to make it louder until a later stage.

Gates, verb, etc there is far too much to go into. Whats your setup?

I agree with this guy. In my short experience one of the most important next steps after having the material recorded and general volume levels set, is going in a triming out all the little nuances you might hear (smacking lips sounds, explosive p's, the drummer spilling the Jack Daniels on the floor). Then gate things properly to get rid of some of the spill overs that might have happened within the drumkit and other instruments/vocals. Most of the engineers I work with always recommend starting off mixing the drums...kick, snare and then bass to make sure they all grove and sit well together..then move on to the rest of the drum kit, and instruments..But that is not a gold standard by any means...as a matter of fact..there is none..so good luck!

Back