First major step in new music room/studio project

bluesfordan

Out with the old.

The dumpster (don't know what they call them overseas, bins?) arrives tomorrow. I've moved everything to one side of the basement and today I start putting up the dust barrier plastic sheeting.

This is a long haul project. I aim to do the demolition over the next 2-3 weeks and plan to document it thoroughly. The new music room isn't likely to be a reality for about another year although I'll undoubtedly be playing down there anyway. Last time I priced lumber, one single piece of rough sawn lumber 12"x16' (30cm x 4.9m) was 48 dollars. And I need at least 33 of those. Almost 16 hundred dollars. Not counting any 2x4 studs, insulation, electrical & wiring, lighting, sound treatment and whatever the heck I decide to do for the ceiling.

But no construction will begin before we get all the electrical inequities of the house resolved, the hobbyist (and that's being kind) level of DIY wiring here is an electrical fire waiting to happen. I'm excited to begin, ignorance is bliss after all :D In a few days ... who knows:cursing::poop::wtf:

Double check your timber supplier - here, a sheet of 8x4 plywood was around 25 pounds, and now it's 50! Sawn timber has also had a huge price hike. Maybe the US is more stable but building materials here including plaster, cement, adhesives and all the sheet material have sky rocketed!

It's a "skip" over there isn't it Rob?

The price of lumber in the states has gone down a little but its expected to go down more in the next 6-12 months. So demo now build out later seems to be the best solution

The Vogon construction vehicle has arrived. Prepare for doom

img]
tjLnKmC.jpg

Yes skips, but that term is usually not applied to the bigger ones as in the yellow one. That size are available but not common here. maybe our poetry isnt bad enough for the Vogon ones.

It may work in your favour to delay the work a little regards materials. The huge price rises are down to shutdowns which have affected the supply process in manufacturing. Eventually this will unravel and stabilise.

If it were me I would get the electrics and plumbing and extraction etc all in place now while the room is empty. Then look around for bargains while you wait.

It may work in your favour to delay the work a little regards materials. The huge price rises are down to shutdowns which have affected the supply process in manufacturing. Eventually this will unravel and stabilise.

If it were me I would get the electrics and plumbing and extraction etc all in place now while the room is empty. Then look around for bargains while you wait.

yep, that's pretty much what's going to happen. We got some serious electrical shenanigans to sort out, and I want more lights installed in places where there aren't any i.e. hallway, closets, rooms with no overhead lights switched at the doorway, etc. So much of that is impacted by the type of ceiling originally put in down there. There are wires hanging across the basement for lack of access above that ceiling. It's ugly as sin.

I've replied to another thread. I've got about 60% of the basement completely torn out and in the dumpster. When we get an electrician in here to work on the mains panel, I'm going to have him disconnect the makeshift "improvements" and pull all the unwanted wiring out. First we'll work on the living quarters' outlets, overhead lights et al and get that squared away. Then we'll wire the basement area. I'm looking forward to this, although it probably won't happen until the second quarter of 2022 when my brother gets his commission check. When the build out and my music room come into being is still somewhat nebulous.

The dumpster is full and locked up and ready for pickup some time today. 21 days of actual work (ok, took a day here and there off so 19 days), 86 hours and so far over 1082 USD in tools, supplies and dumpster rental. There will be more charges for the extra days I kept it and who knows what the transfer station will claim the weight is, limit is 2 tons. Now to tidy up and sanitize the basement. I found so many rodent nests that it makes me wonder how long the house sat empty before it was occupied by the people we bought it from. I won't be in any hurry to build up anything until we know for certain that it is critter free. A mouse is a cute adorable little creature, mice are a goddam pestilence.

They invade pretty quickly and leave if there isn't a food supply so it may not have been empty too long.

Back