First kick at the can

yes...sounds better imho without the drums...maybe some light hand percussion such as bongos etc..might sound cool,but I do like it better in this form than the 1st posting.

SuperGeek said:
Thanks for the input

It is my Fiancees. sons band that i recorded it was just the guitar player that
played both parts.

I just recorded it.

I remixed it (removed the drums)

here it is.

Song 03 Redux
I agree with axman on this. The sounds are much better, and without percussion it took on another life. If it were to have drums, they would need to be way in the back, or as stated, maybe some light bongos or something.
There still seems to be a hard thump in the bottom at times....seems he's strumming pretty hard, and it's getting picked up. I think you can get rid of that with some compression in that area, or maybe some eq. It's pretty minor.
Cool tune man....

Dogman said:
I agree with axman on this. The sounds are much better, and without percussion it took on another life. If it were to have drums, they would need to be way in the back, or as stated, maybe some light bongos or something.
There still seems to be a hard thump in the bottom at times....seems he's strumming pretty hard, and it's getting picked up. I think you can get rid of that with some compression in that area, or maybe some eq. It's pretty minor.
Cool tune man....

Thanks Dogman.

For the input :D Glad you liked it :D

variaxman said:
yes...sounds better imho without the drums...maybe some light hand percussion such as bongos etc..might sound cool,but I do like it better in this form than the 1st posting.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment. :D

LOL!! Well, I am in disagreement with everyone here I guess! The Guitar and Mandolin definitely sound brighter and more forward in the mix now. I love em!! But you took out a beat of the heart of the song,(pun intended!) when the drums went. I sang along with this tune having drums and not having drums. Mind you, it is a soulful piece for a vocalist, even without the drums....but with the drums, it is a kick ass soulful piece!!! This stirs up deep emotion.

Yes, I understand the need to work on the cymbals, but I still think there is a rightful place for the drums. In fact, I would like to hear a bit more kick bass, with a softened, more thickened hollow effect.(muted?) Do I make sense, in how I explain myself? I am not sure what one would do for that, or if they have beater bars for muted effects, or perhaps just in the tuning of the drum. I truely think it would be worth the effort. Bongos or Congos would be nice, but I think they would diminish the emotion compared to a kit.

That is my humble and most likely unhelpful opinion! :D

I have been listening and singing quite a bit to this!!

TRUE :)

true-eurt said:
LOL!! Well, I am in disagreement with everyone here I guess! The Guitar and Mandolin definitely sound brighter and more forward in the mix now. I love em!! But you took out a beat, of the heart of the song,(pun intended!) when the drums went. I sang along with this tune having drums and not having drums. Mind you, it is a soulful piece for a vocalist, even without the drums....but with the drums, it is a kick ass soulful piece!!! This stirs up deep emotion.

Yes, I understand the need to work on the cymbals, but I still think there is a rightful place for the drums. In fact, I would like to hear a bit more kick bass, with a softened, more thickened hollow effect.(muted?) Do I make sense, in how I explain myself? I am not sure what one would do for that, or if they have beater bars for muted effects, or perhaps just in the tuning of the drum. I truely think it would be worth the effort. Bongos or Congos would be nice, but I think they would diminish the emotion compared to a kit.

That is my humble and most likely unhelpful opinion! :D

I have been listening and singing quite a bit to this!!

TRUE :)

Thanks for takeing the time to listen :D

Thanks for the feed back as well.
Just amazes me how many ways to do one song/piece of music ect. :p

The mandolin is essential - it provides dynamics & change - something that is quite lacking when the drums are removed - teh cymbals were OTT but I quite liked the kit.
Cheers
rayC

rayc said:
The mandolin is essential - it provides dynamics & change - something that is quite lacking when the drums are removed - teh cymbals were OTT but I quite liked the kit.
Cheers
rayC

Thanks for the feed back Ray and takeing the time to listen :D

Hi, I don't know much of the technicalities of music, but this is just my humble opinion.
I liked the second song without the drums more than the first song. The drums were boomy and distracting. The way the guitar is being played almost gives it a beat without the need for drums. If the guitar was being played more gently, then you could have a quiet drumbeat/loop in the background. The song would also benefit from singing and I found myself humming along to it. So overall I liked it, and have listened to it several times and will continue to listen to it. I liked the start as well. Well done :)

Langers said:
Hi, I don't know much of the technicalities of music, but this is just my humble opinion.
I liked the second song without the drums more than the first song. The drums were boomy and distracting. The way the guitar is being played almost gives it a beat without the need for drums. If the guitar was being played more gently, then you could have a quiet drumbeat/loop in the background. The song would also benefit from singing and I found myself humming along to it. So overall I liked it, and have listened to it several times and will continue to listen to it. I liked the start as well. Well done :)

Thanks

Glad you took the time to check it out :D

Will be working on more tune in the comming weeks.

There a talanted bunch :D

Back