first Keyboard controller.... How do you choose?

thepogopapers

I have chunk of old school studio experience.... and am setting up a home studio after many years of just playing.
I am looking for a keyboard controller. Other than guitar I have all soft instruments.
I use Garageband and will move to Logic eventually. I have some experience with early Reaper.
( I have not used a DAW in many years and am not looking forward to the re-learning curve...)
Garageband is just so easy to get basics down.

I have NI Komplete 9 for primary soft sound

Is there a go-to controller?
Should I lean towards the NI S-Series?

criteria by order of important

1. ease of use
2. integration with DAW and soft instruments
3 Price
4 size

Thoughts???

Thanks
TK

I'm not going to try to recommend a particular controller, since there are a lot of variables and personal preferences to consider, many of which can be loosely lumped under your least-important criteria (size):

- Number of keys? (88, 76, 61, 49, 37, 25, etc.)
- Shape of keys? (boxed piano-style or flat organ-style)
- Type of key action? (weighted, semi-weighted, non-weighted, etc.)
- Size of keys? (standard, mini, or micro)
- Type of aftertouch? (polyphonic, channel-only, or none)

Those factors alone can be the make-or-break considerations for a serious keyboardist-- and while they might not be as critical for the rest of us, making a few decisions about those criteria can be very helpful in narrowing down your choices.

Then there are factors such as the number, types, and even the positioning of the other controls-- pitch bend wheel, modulation wheel, knobs, buttons, sliders, pads, etc. For instance, maybe you prefer to have the wheels to the left of the keyboard, or maybe you don't mind if they're set above the keyboard? Maybe you want to have no fewer than nine slider controls that can be set to "drawbar mode" (i.e., the "0" position is all the way up rather than all the way down) for controlling virtual drawbar organs? Maybe you need a lot of knobs for mapping to the controls on soft synths? These factors might not be as critical, because if your choice of keyboard controller (i.e., based on number/type/action/size of keys) has only a limited number of other controls, you can always buy a second controller that has all the other controls you want but is lacking the type of keyboard you prefer. Or perhaps you prefer a single all-in-one controller rather than assembling a small arsenal of controllers?

As far as brands, if I were shopping today for a keyboard controller for myself, I'd probably lean toward something from Akai Professional, Native Instruments, or Novation (listed in alphabetical order, not order of preference). I don't have any experience with any of those brands as far as keyboards are concerned-- the only keyboard controller I have (not counting actual keyboard instruments) is an old M-Audio Axiom 61-II-- but I do have non-keyboard controllers from Akai Professional and Novation which seem to have sturdy build qualities. I'm not familiar with Nektar yet, and I might also be interested in something from Arturia that would be designed to work with their V Collection.

And you shouldn't rule out companies that make actual keyboard instruments-- e.g., Korg, Roland, Yamaha, etc.-- as they also make controllers.

Sorry if I haven't been of much help with specific recommendations, but hopefully if you start making a few decisions about some of the factors then your choices will be narrowed down considerably-- and then making additional decisions from there will help narrow the choices down even more, until you're eventually left with a choice between just two or three. :)

1. ease of use
- They all function pretty much the same. Some will have more features than others. You have to do decide what works for you.

2. integration with DAW and soft instruments
- They all integrate with DAWs. It's the software that makes it easy or difficult. I use Cubase. I just plug in the controller and it shows up. Other DAWs may not be so easy.

3 Price
- That is for you to determine.

4 size
- That is for you to determine.

Go to a music store. Try them all, compare, buy the one you like.

Not a Scooby but!
Trawl the back issues of Sound on Sound. They will give you a good insight into the speccs and facilities to look for. In fact never an issue goes by without SOME sort of kbd review. They should re-name it "Sound on Sound and KEYBOARD/SYNTHFEST" !

Some issues don't have an AI review but there is ALWAYS at least ONE synth thing!

Rant over.

Dave.

The electronic/computer music magazines from the UK (Computer Music, Future Music, Music Tech) also tend to have gear reviews for synths/keyboards/controllers pretty regularly.

If you have Komplete then the NI controllers make sense if you can stretch that far purely for ease of navigation of Komplete.
NI make solid hardware - Maschine is my favourite toy (although I finally have a new guitar on the way!)

I'm also a massive Novation fan... The Impulse line of controllers is in my opinion (although not their cheapest line) the best bang for buck. I've had mine (49 key) a couple years now and would recommend happily.

Back