First Home Studio

scuppari

Here's the layout of my new basement studio... started construction on May 5th and I "hope" to get it done by mid-July.

I've got a couple questions regarding Auralex acoustic panels...

1. How do I know if I'll need them?
2. How many should I buy?
3. Where should I place them?

Thanks.

You may want to try that jpg just one final time...

As for auralex, they have a free consultation service on their web site. You draw your room and provide some specifics, then they give you their opinion on sound control, which usually involves...

Surprise! Auralex products!

But seriously, there's a guy Jeff on the acoustics list serv who works for Auralex. He's a very helpful, reasonable guy and is candid with comparing his product to things like Owens Corning 703 panels. You may want to check that out at studiotips.com.

Mid July, eh?

Good Luck...

You may want to try that jpg just one final time...

As for auralex, they have a free consultation service on their web site. You draw your room and provide some specifics, then they give you their opinion on sound control, which usually involves...

Surprise! Auralex products!

But seriously, there's a guy Jeff on the acoustics list serv who works for Auralex. He's a very helpful, reasonable guy and is candid with comparing his product to things like Owens Corning 703 panels. You may want to check that out at studiotips.com.

Mid July, eh?

Good Luck...

nah, the "studio area" is just the total sq ft of control and live rooms.

The total basement is 1200 sq ft and the studio is around 400 sq ft. The area outside the control room will be a big entertainment area (pool table, big screen, arcade game or two). I'll finish the rest of the basement next year... the studio is top priority!!

someones got the priorities right - Studio - Control Room - Pool Table :):)
With your control room I'd treat the rear wall and the ceiling in heavy Rockwool/Owens Corning.

cheers
john

John,

Thanks for the rockwool tip... have you ever used spray-on cellulose instead of rockwool? I'm getting the electrical and audio wiring done next week so I need to decide on my insulation by the end of this week.

I found a company in Houston, TX that makes cellulose and another product called Cellbar, which is used in industrial applications. Supposed to have STC of 55+ at only 2 1/2" thick. Anyway, not sure if Cellbar or rockwool would be the best at sound isolation.

I would really appreciate some feedback on this stuff. The website is www.cellbar.com.

Thanks.

Back