First day of tracking!

I'm just listening with headphones, and keep in mind I have only had one cup of coffee but I think it sounds pretty damn good. Very tight. Snare sounds nice.
I'm going to start tracking today. I'm hoping to get the drums for at least 4 songs and I hope I can get nice results like you.
What are you using as far as drums and mics?

For the kit, our drummer is using a Tama Rockstar. The snare is an acrylic (might be a Pork Pie, not sure). Floor tom, I'm not sure what kind but it sounds great. All heads up to the floor tom are coated ambassadors, and the floor tom is an emperor. Kick drum is a powerstroke.
Mics:
Kick - AKG D112 about 3 inches from the front skin hole
Snare - SM57 about 4 inches from the snare, pointed 2 inches in from the rim (first time I've tried it this close to the snare and I love the result)
Toms - Sennheiser e604s pointed 3 inches in from the rim (this varies because the mics get knocked around between takes and it's really hard to regulate their exact position)
Overheads - Matched Samson CO2s in the back of the kit, pointed toward center to get a full view of the kit and not just the cymbals. Get these sounding nearly exactly how you want the kit to sound before you start adding in other mics.
And that's pretty much it. We took about an hour to get the drum sound how we wanted it, so if you do that, you should get just as good, if not better drum sound!

Back