First completed song - give me feedback

Claudius Rex

Hello all,
I've owned a 4-track since I was in 7th grade and have been mucking around with it since (I'm 17 now). I finally decided to upgrade to a digital studio setup, and have recorded this song using my computer and Magix Studio 6 Deluxe.
Other items used:
* Epiphone Les Paul standard guitar
* Marshall 100w combo amp (tube preamp, solid state amp)
* Cheapie audio-technica mic on the guitar
* BOSS DR670 drum machine (also used it for the bass, but I played the bass live instead of programming it)
* Fostex X-77 4-track (using as mic preamp)
* Ensoniq AudioPCI soundcard (cheapie)
* Shure Beta 58 mic for vox (borrowed from a friend, took of the windscreen - sounds better for me at least)

Personally I think this sounds damn good for my first real completed song apart from a crappy punk rock demo tape when was 14.. heh. Especially considering the relatively low-end equipment. I've gotten very positive feedback from people who don't know jack about recording and production, now its time to get some real criticism. Heh.

Here is the link to the mp3 (128kbps, should have done higher!)

FYI, the lyrics are in portuguese, and it's actually a cover song from a little-known band called "Central do Brasil".

Oh yeah, and I know the "Woooaahs" at the end are off-key so please don't point that out! :)

Thanks!
-Claudio

hello Mr Rex,

You've a lot of good in this recording. Know that. I thought the vocals should be up more in the mix. They aren't "in your face" as this style of song demands. Maybe cut some of the verb off or just push the fader.

I also thought that the build with the backup vox could have been embelished. Add an element. Be it a git lick, Double time drums, another vocal harmony.....something, anything to thicken it up and make the exit smash.

Hope these tidbits helped.

Theron.

Back