First Classroom Challenge: Micing the School Band

McParadigm

As part of the warm-up to my after-school music club (details in the Dragon Cave), on April 4th I'll be recording the school band. That's woodwinds down in front, percussion in the back left (looking at the band from the front), and the brass in the back right.

I'm going to be expanding my options before we start next year...this is the learning phase for me....but for now I haven't got but three microphones that might remotely be useful for this. I have 2 AT2020s and a Neumann M147.

Any advice? I thought about just going for a stereo pair, but the way the band is set up might make that a poorly balanced result, yes?

I should mention that, now that I'm committed to this thing, it has occured to me that it might make better sense for me to sell the Neumann (good for female vox, harsh on male, very present) and buy two or three mics in the $500 range with the money I get from that. If a different mic would be better for this setting, feel free to say.

Last edited:
I'd keep it simple and use what you have. How about an X-Y configuration and leave the Neumann in the safe deposit box?

Seriously, I wouldn't take a mic like that to a high school auditorium for any money. But - an omni fill mic would be good in this situation along with an x-y. How about something like an SP C3 set to omni? Beg, borrow or steal something, but it strikes me as unwise to sell the Neumann for a single project.

Well, the 2020's aren't really designed for this application and I expect will not perform very well. Now, AT makes a great mic ... the 853a. It's a small condensor and can be hung above the stage, or attached to the clips (supplied) easily run in an x/y configuration. (It also makes a pretty nice acoustic instrument and acoustic guitar mic). I've used them in for this application as well as a pair of Crown 700's. I hear very good things about the little Niants as well. You might PM Jon (mshilarious) about his thoughts on this...he makes the Niant mic line and might have something that will be very cost effective.

And I agree with the Liner of Trees....dont' sell that Neumann just yet.:cool:

Elaboration.

How about an X-Y configuration and leave the Neumann in the safe deposit box? Seriously, I wouldn't take a mic like that to a high school auditorium for any money.

Middle school. Where's your sense of adventure?

it strikes me as unwise to sell the Neumann for a single project.

Obviously, but as I said I've never been overwhelmed by the sound I'm getting from it and, as you observe, it's not the kind of item one would want to expose to children. Since the primary function of my equipment now is going to be exactly that, and since the Neumann's weak point is exactly the thing I am most concerned with in my own recording (male vocals), I've been thinking for a while that I might be better off selling it off to fund something like a Rode NTK and a pair of MT5's, for example. I'd probably have enough to get one of the mentioned ensemble mics.

the 2020's aren't really designed for this application and I expect will not perform very well.

I agree, which is why I brought up the mic issue. Ensemble recording is going to be a regular concern now, so I might as well start thinking about mics.

I would recommend what I have heard, and seen, work well. Two Shure SM81 mics, on very tall boom stands. Mics sitting about 8 ft. above the level of the band. Distance between mics is about 2/3 the total width of the band. Mics set about 8 ft in front of the front row of the band. I have played French Horn in a band that was arranged very similarly to what was described. We made albums for 7 consecutive years. Our mic setup was always very close to what I have described.

No thoughts? Thing is I can get a set of the aforementioned NT5's for a good price, and I'd certainly be able to use those for overheads on drums as well. I was thinking they might work well using an ORTF setup?

I second the recommendation for the SM81s - they are tried and true mics and not much over the $300 budget. You can probably get a pair for around $350.

The U853Ru seem to be the same mic as the 853a only with RF shielding. Those are my pick based on experience with them. The Crown CM 700 is a player if you can find any on ebay otherwise, the Sure SM-81's are a better value at retail.:cool:

Don't get me wrong, I'd much prefer to go that route, but I must be looking in the wrong places. I see a single SM81 for $300, never a pair?

You would have to buy them used - Sm81s typically sell on the used market for ~$200 a piece, sometimes less.

If it's a time critical thing, then you might have to pass, but if you check the used market (i.e. ebay and music forums) you might be able to score a deal in the next week.

I'll see what I can do. It'll depend on if this amp I'm trying to sell ever finds a buyer. I sure wouldn't mind being able to justify those SM81's for a number of reasons.

Back