First attempt, need input from other ears

CTB

First Ever attempt at a song.

Hey Everyone,

After a week of hell learning logic 9, Ozone 5, Dealing witha hot mic (only one) and drums that wouldn't co-operate I finally finished a short test song.
I just made the song up quick.

I'm really looking for criticism here. The mix, the effects, whats bad about it. (Besides the playing...I'm a Bass player by nature, so playing everything has been...ummm a challenge as well).
I did this with an m audio fast track 2, Apex 435 mic.
Pair of cheap headphones. I have no monitors yet. So, bear that in mind.
So take a listen to the Signature!

Thanks!

I thought the acoustic guitar sounded nice.

I thought the vocal level was a bit too low. Ditto for the level on the electric guitar. What processing did you do on the vocal? It sounded decent, but there was something a little weird about it. Maybe a delay or something?

The bass had some boominess to it on certain notes. It made the level seem a little inconsistent.

Oh one ting I forgot. They cymbals sound a little hissy and indistinct. Just kind of a constant "sssssssssssss" rather than distinct cymbal hits.

Yes, I agree that the vocals are too low level-wise on this. I kind of like the sound though - sort of a telephone effect. Not sure that was intentional, but pretty cool.

I like the kick sound on this a lot. Acoustics sound nice, although you kind of stumble rhythmically right around 2:31 at the end there. Agree with Trip on the cymbals.

Purely subjective here, but I didn't care for the chorus effect or whatever that is on the electric. For me, it didn't blend as well with the more organic sounds of the other elements in this.

Yes, I agree that the vocals are too low level-wise on this. I kind of like the sound though - sort of a telephone effect. Not sure that was intentional, but pretty cool.

I like the kick sound on this a lot. Acoustics sound nice, although you kind of stumble rhythmically right around 2:31 at the end there. Agree with Trip on the cymbals.

Purely subjective here, but I didn't care for the chorus effect or whatever that is on the electric. For me, it didn't blend as well with the more organic sounds of the other elements in this.

Fantastic guys!

Thanks!

I will try some other ideas. I really need some monitors. The mix really is night and day depending on what its played over. Which is my fault of course.

Thanks for the input!

In general this is very good indeed. I agree that the vocal level was a little low, you really want that to stand out more. I thought the guitar was fine, but I couldn't help feeling that it sounded a little hollow? I wouldn't know myself how to get around that. A rich, thick, full texture would go down wonderfully!

Yea, the room I'm recording in I believe is the biggest culprit to that "hollow" sound. I really need to treat more than it is.
I am using only one Mic, the Apex 435 (not modded) which is thin and bright sounding as is it. Combine that with a room full of reflections and nulls and you have what I have here.....A hollow "telephone" sound. Yes its driving me crazy but its fixable with room treatments and maybe a few mods to the mike.

Thanks for the input!

I thought you did I nice job given the equipment used. As others mentioned I would a lot with Mic placement and room changes.

I thought you did I nice job given the equipment used. As others mentioned I would a lot with Mic placement and room changes.

Thanks Bryan,

I treated the room today. Did Got out my SPL meter and found my nulls and peaks in the lower freq range.
Doesn't even sound like the same Mic now.

I am going to rework this tune. It was a test song, but after writing more verses and putting in a bridge, i'm really liking where this song is going. Not there yet, but getting there.

Peace,

CTB

Back