first 12 string acoustic guitar

deibid

hey folks, i'm planning on buying my first 12 string acoustic & i've narrowed it down to 2 models : sigma guitars dm-12-1st & Cort earth 70-12. they are very similar in price. can anyone recommend either?

thanks in advance

Have you actually played and listened to both? Martin makes the Sigma line, Cort is a relatively cheap brand, although they private label for others.
When buying a guitar, go for sound and feel first.

I had a Sigma 12 string back in the mid 80's. It was perfect for me then. I sold it years ago and now I have a 2006 Martin D12-28. Absolutely killer sounding guitar. It sounds like a "Musical Cathedral". Is the Sigma new? Are they still in business? Good luck.

VP

Any way to actually play both of em first?
Or is it an online deal?
If online, check their return policy. Maybe get em both and send back the one you don't want.

Since the Sigma line has not been in production for several years, the guitar is probably used and I would want to know why the previous owner got rid of it--just like with a used car. I have a friend who deals in Cort guitars and they are very well made and sound great. Depending on your budget and availability, you might see if you can do some A/B comparisons with a Yamaha FG720S-12 or a Yamaha LL16-12. Also try the LAG line of guitars, along with Bedell/Great Divide guitars if you have not done so already.

Back