firewire vs USB

Stark444

i dont want to make a "whats better" thread...thats already been done.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=287185&highlight=firewire+vs+usb

but, when i was reading this thread, it made me hesitate on a decision i made recently. i was planning on a USB tascam device that has eight mic/line inputs plus six line inputs. however, i use a few other USB devices on my 'puter. i can move my printer to my server and just share it over the network. my mouse and keyboard come in on one USB because its going through a KVM (keyboard, video, mouse) switch. so, that would leave me with just one other USB device other than the interface id like to buy. im not sure what kind of problems i will have. a found this on the above thread:

USB is a slower bus. If you need more than 2 channels you can run into issues with a USB device. If only from a lack of options and other issues if it's not your only USB device.

Firewire is a little more common because you can cram more channels of input on the same bus. And it generally has less latency when multi-tracking. 8 or 16 channel devices are common for firewire.

PCI is the faster option. But many devices have to use breakout boxes to get out of the electronically noisy part of the computer.

am i really going to experience "issues" from using USB, or should i try to find a firewire interface instead?

if u cant answer because you dont know my hardware, then heres a link to my new 'puter:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=5013689&sku=B69-0118

im also doubling the RAM.

I guess the answer depends on if the new USB3 is in the running...USB2 is not as fast as FW...but gives you more options in the marketplace

i was just reading reviews on the us-1641 and received an idea. what if i buy a separate USB card and have it solely dedicated to the interface? essentially, its supposed to be faster than firewire (400 anyway), so this could solve my dilemma, right?

Id go ahead and buy it...but use the primary one on the motherboard for the interface and regulate keyboard and mouse for use with the add on board.

i was just reading reviews on the us-1641 and received an idea. what if i buy a separate USB card and have it solely dedicated to the interface? essentially, its supposed to be faster than firewire (400 anyway), so this could solve my dilemma, right?

USB has a faster burst rate then FW but in sustained use like recording FW is faster and can handle more work. So firewire is actually faster with a constant work load.

Back