Firewire (Soundcard) Interface

downatone

I'm now toying with the idea of buying a laptop & plugging in a firewire HD & soundcard. I'm looking for a sound card - maybe similar to M-Audio's Delta 44 (something simple with 4-8 1/4 inputs) but it has to be a firewire interface instead of pci because this will be on a laptop.
Anybody with any experience doing this, or any idea for good sound recording devices? I have a mixer - so having that pre-amp is not needed, assuming it will save cost.

I'm not sure if there is something out there which is both an audio card but without pres.

The M-Audio 410 gives you 4-in 10-out 1/4.
The MOTU 828 gives you 8-in 8-out & 2-pre-amp st out & 2-Monitor outs.
The RME Fireface 800 8-in & 8-out.

I placed them in order from cheapest to most expensive (cost wise).

Thanks for the pointers Dracon, it got me looking at this product by M-Audio:
here
Anyone have any experience with it, or heard anything of interest about it through the old grapevine?

downatone said:
Thanks for the pointers Dracon, it got me looking at this product by M-Audio:
here
Anyone have any experience with it, or heard anything of interest about it through the old grapevine?
Yeah the Firewire Solo - Sure but it won't give you the 4-in 4-out (1/4") and it does have the mic pre-amp that you did not want.

Basically it will give you the mic pre input, a 1/4 (instrument) input and some headphone outs. It does give you a total of 4-inputs (1-mic, 1-instrument, 2-unbalanced 1/4 inputs), but for $200 retail is a great buy.

I'm between that one or the Firewire 410 - waiting to hear word for sure sometime next week, but I'm pretty sure I'll either go with the Solo or Firewire 410.

Although I found a MOTU 828 that I may be able to get for the same price as the 410 (very tempting).

I currently own an M-Audio Delta 4/4 (PCI based) audiocard, and I have 0 (zero) complaints. I plugged it in, installed the drivers, installed the updated drivers, and was recording litterally within 3 seconds. So no messing around, nothing. If I count the time it took me to buy the Delta 4/4 to the point when I was recording it was about 2 hours (includes walking around Guitar Center & travel time). Installation was like 20 minutes (tops).

2-unbalanced 1/4 inputs

How do the 2-unbalanced 1/4's compare to the normal 1/4 instrument in?

I assumed that it still leaves 4 in's adding them all up, and I only need two L/R outs for studio monitors. I'd go pci, but I'm planning on doing this all on the laptop so it can be really flexible...

downatone said:
How do the 2-unbalanced 1/4's compare to the normal 1/4 instrument in?

I assumed that it still leaves 4 in's adding them all up, and I only need two L/R outs for studio monitors. I'd go pci, but I'm planning on doing this all on the laptop so it can be really flexible...
The 1/4 for the guitar (instrument) is also unbalanced, but I don't know if they do something more to the signal through that input than the other one.

I do know the 1/4" (in the fron) has a gain control and a clip LED just like your mixer (which means it probably goes through a different signal path), while the one's on the back seem to be more like my Delta 4/4 (no gain - just audio card inputs).

I'm not sure if they are "mixing" the XLR & 1/4" input from the front.
I just read the specs:

The 1/4 inputs (Line inputs) have
max input: +2.2dBV
S/N: -102dB @ 48kHz
D Range: 102dB @ 48kHz
F Response: +/-0.2dB, 20Hz to 20kHz @ 48kHz
impedance: 14k Ohm

Instrument input (1/4 on front) has
available gain: 40dB
input range: -28 to +12dBv
S/N: -101dB @ 48kHz
D Range: 101dB @ 48kHz
F Response: +/-0.25dB, 20Hz to 20kHz @ 48kHz
impedance: 270k Ohm

So there you go that's the difference on each.

Back