FireWire Question

green17

Hello,
I just ordered a presonus firestudio 26x26. My question is about the firewire connection. I've got a SIIG 1394 firewire card with a TI chipset in it. I believe this is a 6-pin connection. My question is, should I shell out 35 bucks for a 800 mbps cord from BestBuy? Or would a 100/200/400 cable (that cost about $5) do okay for me? Thanks!!

If the size of the cord is related to the speed of info transfer, then you should get the big one. Won't the Firestudio come with a firewire cord?

A FW800 cord isn't going to do you any good.... that interface is a FW400 and wont go any faster than that.

FW400 can keep up with over 100 cd-quality audio streams anyway...thats why you dont see a lot of FW800 interfaces-- they just dont need any more bandwidth than FW400.

what about USB cables? are the $30 ones at best buy better than the random ones I got?

also I have a 9-pin(FW 800) external hard-drive port and a 4-pin(1394) port on my laptop. what does that say about how fast it is?

I would love to use the FireWire cord that comes with the unit, but I'm buying it used. There's no cord coming with it. So, $30 cord from BestBuy or $1 cord from Dollar Tree?

I would love to use the FireWire cord that comes with the unit, but I'm buying it used. There's no cord coming with it. So, $30 cord from BestBuy or $1 cord from Dollar Tree?

There will be no difference between then really other then the quality, but I'm sure the best buy one isn't much better in quality to justify the price.

If the $1 cord works, you win.

If it doesn't, you're only out a dollar and can still go get the $30 one.

('ya gotta learn to think things thru..... :-) )

Back