FireWire - Phonic Helixboard Mixer - No Return Signal / Only Noise

JoshDaveJones

Hey guys I'm Josh, I need a bit of help,

I have a Firewire mixer; Specifically a Phonic Helixboard 18 FW MKII - It records multiple channels perfectly through a 6 Pin Firewire connection into Adobe Audition, but when I try to press for playback with the output assigned so that it returns to the mixer and plays through the headphones (also via FireWire) - All that I can hear is little tones almost like the click and pop of a record whilst random tones play. - The noises correlate to the wave form of whatever I'm playing eg: A solo'd vocal track - the sounds will only occur when there is vocals audible.

I would switch the audio output to what my speakers normally play through (SB Audigy - Headphones) - But it's a different device and isn't available to use when using the mixer's streams. It's an (ASIO) device (The Mixer) if that helps.

The FireWire card I have installed in my PC is a 'PCI FIREWIRE 400 CARD - IEEE1394a - TEXAS INSTRUMENTS - TI SINGLE CHIPSET'
I have been using both of the 6 pin ports connected to those on my mixer; I have tried using one 6-pin and one 4-pin - That made the PC not recognize the device on the driver software; so I used only the 4-pin connector but as soon as I switched the output; the noise occurred except 10 times worse, so loud that I'm convinced it has blown one of the drivers in my headphones.

If anyone has any idea of how to either fix the FireWire issue, or make it so that I can use both ASIO and SB Audigy at the same time; please reply.

Records fine, playback not fine. Tells me the data connection is okay.

Can you play any audio at through the Phonic? Like from windows media player? Can you open the control panel and set the stream and buffer values to the max? Be sure you truly have the ASIO driver selected for the phonic.

Can you try to select your soundcard as a playback device and then listen to your recorded tracks? Have you had a chance to listen to the recorded tracks? Maybe there is a problem with the recording.

You can't get them the soundcard and phonic to work at the sametime, it's one or the other. If your soundcard doesn't show up as an option in Audition, download ASIO4ALL and use that to connect to the soundcard.

Hmmm, It definitely seems to be the play back, I can listen back to the recordings after switching back to my soundcard and they come through perfectly.

on the front panel on my helix 18 (earlier version - no USB), there are buttons under the firewire symbol where you assign the return from the computer via firewire either to the main outs, control room outs or aux 1. try these various options and see if any of them will pass a signal of the computer playback.

Back