Firewire overload?

The Flame

Hey guys, i have been on the phone with both presonus and steinberg for tech support and i still couldn't get my system to work.

I am running a macbook, daisy chaining two firepods and connecting a firewire 800 hard drive running Cubase Studio 4.

I think i have finally got it! I can only keep my both of my firepods sync wth word clock if i unplug my firewire 800 external hard drive. Everything runs perfectly fine now!

Does having both the frepods and the external create some kind of firewire overload that messes with the sync and the program? Even though the hard drive is on a seperate firewire 800 input slot?

If anyone knows how I can run both my firepods and the drive without having this syncing and program crashing error please let me know, because I would like to recport my tracks onto this drive.

Thanks in advance.
The Flame

Firewire overload?? No.

Firewire has enough bandwidth to take well over 100 tracks in and out simultaneously.

What is probably dodgy is the DRIVERS for you interfaces.
Probably weren't written for simultaneous multiple devices.

Companies that write their drivers properly to take multiple simultaneous devices
will tell you that up front (that's why I bought a MOTU and have had ZERO problems...)

I would say yank the FireWire hard drive. It's recommended to have your interface(s) on it's own independent FW channel. I think everything on the Presonus and Steinberg end will turn out to not be the problem and contacting them will result in more of your time wasted. Most likely it's a resource issue.

Check and see if you can use the interfaces with a firewire hub. If so, attach the two interfaces and the HD to the hub instead of daisy chaining them.

Back