Firepod and Midi.. can't turn it into audio

Mindcore

Hi, thanks in advance for your help.

Here's the deal, and I'll give as much info as I can whether it relates or not.

Out with the M-Audio PCI and in with the Firepod using Sonar 7.

I have old ( and want new ) midi drums tracks on some songs, and I want to convert them to audio so I can export to a .wav

With the M-Audio card, I would arm a track, set input to Mixer, solo the midi track and hit record and it would record to audio.

It seems I can't do that with the Firepod.

My output in the settings is MS Wave synth. There is no other selection availble to me on that track for anything other then that, no mixer, sub busses, or anything that relates to the Firepod. If I change the settings to use the FP as my midi out, ofcourse there is no sounds, and likewise no signal on the armed audio track either.

I guess this is because the Firepod has no software mixer like the M-Audio cards have ( and I'll really miss that I think )

So....how do I get my midi converted to audio?

Thanks

Can you not just solo the track and then select 'Bounce' or whatever it is that Sonar uses to render a mixdown to a new track?

When I solo the track and select bounce, it prints the midi data to the track, but it stays midi, it doesn't convert it to a wav, so on mix down it's ommited form the final export.

That is the first half of the puzzle though, thanks :)

It sounds like the M-Audio card had a built-in midi synth to convert midi to audio. Would that be correct? The firepod doesn't have that, it will only pass midi through. You'll need a sound source or a VSTi for your midi tracks. I use EZDrummer for my midi drums. Works and sounds great. You can probably find something cheaper by looking around....

I don't have either M-Audio or presonus, but it seems like that is what's happening.

Hope this helps...

It sounds like the M-Audio card had a built-in midi synth to convert midi to audio. Would that be correct? The firepod doesn't have that, it will only pass midi through. You'll need a sound source or a VSTi for your midi tracks. I use EZDrummer for my midi drums. Works and sounds great. You can probably find something cheaper by looking around....

I don't have either M-Audio or presonus, but it seems like that is what's happening.

Hope this helps...

No, it has a software mixer where you can route an audio output back into and audio input internally. I am not a sonar user but it has to have a function to render audio or at least route the audio output of a VSTi back into a new audio track

Interesting, I'll try the Sonar forum, never used it, since I've never had a problem with the software.

The Maudio card didn't have a built in synth that I recall or if it did, I could never get sound out of it. Always used the MS Synth, which worked for my basic needs.

Ill look into some VST's to see if that is indeed what the problem is, maybe Sonar, the Firepod and Microsoft aren't speaking the same language.

I suppose for the guys that have this working, it's cake, but it's driving me mental because it should be so simple.. if I can hear midi thru my speakers, it's going to an output somewhere ( can't find and meter that shows me which one ) then I should therefore be able to send it somewhere else.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Back