Fireface + Giga + Sonar

Dr Biscuits

Hey all - I asked this question in a different forum, but so far all my troubleshooting has led me to believe my problems may be MIDI related...

MY SETUP: Sonar 5.2 PE sending MIDI via virtual MIDI port (Loopbe) to VSL Performance Tool to Gigastudio 3.
RME Fireface 800 using standard 1394a PCI FW card, all buffers set to 256 (other settings don't seem to help) ASIO drivers.
P4 3.0.

THE PROBLEM: Playback timing is erratic, MIDI is dropping notes, playing notes out of time, etc.

I have just upgraded from an Audiophile 2496, and everything was working perfectly until I intalled the Fireface... I have the Audiophile disabled right now, and I've tried bypassing the virtual MIDI port, experimenting with buffers/drivers/latency but still the same problems...

Just wondering if anyone here has some possible advice of where to go next in my troubleshooting - the FF is such a great unit, I'd hate to have to go back to the trusty 2496!!!

Thanks! :D

Sound like a Loopbe problem, even though it works fine on my comp.

Try a program called MidiYoke.

Thanks Halion - I have tried that, ans it doesn't seem to make a difference...
HOWEVER...
The one thing I did try was removing all the RXP Rex Players from the Sonar project, and that seemed to do it - do you think there's any chance the Rex players could be sending out confusing MIDI data and mucking things up?

Well, it could be sending too much data for the system to handle, although I'd say it's a long shot. Midi is pretty old, but still, computers fast, and you'd have ot have a really, REALLY big load of messages coming through to clog up a modern-day computer.

Back