Firebox, RND, and mixer- help my signal chain!

darrvid

So, I was reading about compressors over at tweakheadz site, and saw that I might have a problem. I plan on adding a FMR RNC (really nice compressor) to my setup. But, it needs to be added before the firebox if I plan on putting it compressed to track (which I do for certain uses, vocals in particular). This is a problem, because I use the firebox's preamps! So I was considering a couple options, and came up with adding a Yamaha MG102 10-Channel, 4-Bus Mixer. My concern is that the preamps on that are almost certainly inferior to the firebox pre's. How would you all say the compare?

What other suggestions (other than buying a standalone preamp) would you suggest?

Here's a couple possible signal chains I have in mind-

Mixerless w/ only equipment I have
mic->firebox pre->cubase->output 5->RNC->firebox line in->track

Mixer
mic->mixer preamp->RNC on insert->firebox line in->track

The mixerless route doesn't seem like it would work, as the signal's already been processed at the point of hitting cubase I'm sure, and is already clipped if it's too hot. True or not? Why not just use a software compressor?

I'm looking to use a mixer rather than just a standalone pre because it's more bang for the buck (it'd be nice to have a mixer to track drums with the firebox). Only concern being how the mixers pre's compare to the firebox.

Comments/suggestions?

Can't you go...

mic
mic in firebox -> lineout
line in RNC ->
line out RNC ->
firebox line in another channel
pc

Inserts shound be absolutely standard on everything (small rant)

Mackie 1202VLZ is a great little mixer, the flexibility alone puts it on top of the others IMO.

darrvid said:
Only concern being how the mixers pre's compare to the firebox.
As a fellow Firebox owner, I suggest you invest the 100 bones in the Yamaha mixer.

The preamps are good and the gains you'll realize from using the RNC and keeping your signals under control will far outweigh any signal degradation you'll experience on the way into Cubase.

Gotta agree with that rant riffy- inserts should be standard, I couldn't believe it when I found out the firebox didn't have a way of inserting effects between the preamp and computer.

So you'd say the preamps are on the same level as the firebox?

And since you have a firebox and the mixer it sounds; if I were using the mixer to send signals into the firebox, are the most seperate channels I can get 4? 2 pre's on the firebox, plus using 2 mixer pres sent to the line ins?

If I panned 2 mics hard L/R and sent the stereo signal into the line in on the back, does that L/R seperation stay so I can then split them into different tracks by seperating L/R?

I don't have a Firebox, I just looked at some pics of it. It looks to me though that with the Firebox and an outboard compressor only you could get away with tracking w/o a mixer by how I explained. With a mixer like a 1202 or equivelant, you really expand your possibilites. I'm not familiar with the preamps on the Firebox but the Mackies are certainly good enough plus you get eq and a hi pass filter that IMO not enough devices have (along with inserts). In any case a little mixer I think can really help you.

Actually, it looks like the Firebox & a 1202 would be a perfect combo. Use the (4) inserts (direct outs) on the 1202 to feed the line inputs on the Firebox. Firebox main outs to a couple channels on the board for playback monitoring. That could be a great flexible little setup. Thats probably what I'd do.

Back