Firebird.....

That's looks very cool. I really need to spend a few bucks and get some Monitors, but I'm still on the guitar tone quest.

My latest buy was at a little guitar show. I picked up an old TS-10 Tube Screamer stomp box. I've been taking it around to music stores and compairing it to all kinds of new overdrive pedels and nothing is sounding as good.

Also, I just took my Jap Strat in for a real pro setup. He lowered my action a little too much though. It's harder now to get deep bends, but it's really easy to play the fast stuff. I think I'm going to buy a good 6 inch ruler today and check the measurement of the pickup hight and then rise the action up and bring up the pups to match.

64Firebird said:
That's looks very cool. I really need to spend a few bucks and get some Monitors, but I'm still on the guitar tone quest.

My latest buy was at a little guitar show. I picked up an old TS-10 Tube Screamer stomp box. I've been taking it around to music stores and compairing it to all kinds of new overdrive pedels and nothing is sounding as good.

Also, I just took my Jap Strat in for a real pro setup. He lowered my action a little too much though. It's harder now to get deep bends, but it's really easy to play the fast stuff. I think I'm going to buy a good 6 inch ruler today and check the measurement of the pickup hight and then rise the action up and bring up the pups to match.

Yeah,

It's a fun little piece of gear, kind of like the toaster oven of gear.

You can mix line in, aux, and mic/instrument.

Five band eq is a nice touch, especially since the speaker that come with it suck. You know me, and tweeters. They are also ported, and sound way to boxy.

I may try modifiying them, block the ports, try them without the tweeters running, see if they improve. I may luck out, if the woofers are full range.

The first thing I tried was plugging it into my laptop, going to a midi Beatles site, plugging my guitar into the mic/instrument input, and playing Fool on the Hill with full midi instrumentation. This could be addictive!!

This is going to be a fun piece of gear, if for nothing else, it will make a great stereo practice amp, at way less cost than most mono amps, not to mention built in five band eq, and decent mixing capability built in.

GT

64Firebird said:
Also, I just took my Jap Strat in for a real pro setup. He lowered my action a little too much though. It's harder now to get deep bends, but it's really easy to play the fast stuff. I think I'm going to buy a good 6 inch ruler today and check the measurement of the pickup hight and then rise the action up and bring up the pups to match. [/B]

Firebird,

Sorry for the double quote, but if I am going to be a succesfull cyber stalker, I must hang on your every word.

I had my guitar set up by a "Pro" once, I repeat ONCE!!

I got it home, and imediately felt the need to set it up myself.

The "Pro" set the action way too low, and the intonation set by a strobe at the twelth fret, made the guitar sound God awfull.

How many times I got to tell ya, you gots to set up your guitar yourself, let the "Pros" with there preconcieved ideas of setup, play guitars that buzz from way too low action, and are out of tune sound from twelth fret intonation settings, that really mean only the twelth fret will be in tune.

Now get out that phillips head, and the alen wrench, and get into it. It's your guitar, don't let anyone else mess with it!!!!

End of sermon.

GT

Yeah, I think you're right about setting it up myself. I've always done that in the past, but This time there was a bit more relief on the treble side than the bass side and I didn't know what to do about it. And I wanted him to set the right hight on my pickups. I don't know anything about doing that. All I do know is that if you set them high it'll sound louder, but too high and you'll lose sustain.

It's a little funny really. I used to like my action to be really low and I was even willing to put up with a little fret buzz to get it. But, sense I got serious about playing Blues I like my action to be pretty high. Higher than most people I've talked to like.

64Firebird said:
Yeah, I think you're right about setting it up myself. I've always done that in the past, but This time there was a bit more relief on the treble side than the bass side and I didn't know what to do about it. And I wanted him to set the right hight on my pickups. I don't know anything about doing that. All I do know is that if you set them high it'll sound louder, but too high and you'll lose sustain.

It's a little funny really. I used to like my action to be really low and I was even willing to put up with a little fret buzz to get it. But, sense I got serious about playing Blues I like my action to be pretty high. Higher than most people I've talked to like.

Yeah,

It seems to me that higher action equates with more feeling, especially when you bend the strings, seems like you can get a better grab, with higher action.

I suppose if you're one of those super fast lead players, lower action is better, but I think for the rest of us, higher action is much better. Plus no fret buzz.

GT

Back