finishing songs

cliff richard

i have a folder which is full of half finished songs. it seems that for every 1 i do finish there are 10 that i dont. anyway, i thought i would stick some on here and get some help from you lot rather than throw them away. below are the lyrics and a link for an unfinished thing. im not that concerned about the quality as it is still just a rough idea, all i have are two verses for it but im not really sure where i should go from there. any advise on the songwriting side, structure, lyrics etc would be much appreciated.

unfinished thing

I don’t know
Your face no more
I don’t walk the roads
That take me to your door
I don’t see the light break through
I don’t lift my eyes to skies
In case I try and dream of you

Well I’ve been told
That time will heal
Have I been sold
The losers deal?
I don’t know if it’s true
I don’t lift my eyes to skies
In case I try and dream of you

http://www.david.sheen.dsl.pipex.com/

I know the feeling :rolleyes:
My unfinished songs normally becomes incomplete because they aren't good enough. It's hard to admit, but you can't build a great house (hit or great song) on a shabby foundation. It takes me a very long time to find out that these (my) tunes needs to be ditched.
Sometimes they don't complete because I don't have the proper "drive" (creativity) to finish them off in a proper way.
Earlier in my songwriting (allthough I'm new to this) they didn't get finished because I didn't have the skills to continue something that actually sounded good.
Concerning your song here I think I would try to add a (prechorus+) chorus to it and find out if you like it. If you don't then ditch it.
I think this song has the potential to be better than the average if you:
Find a good (prechorus+) chorus
Sing the melody line a tad different in the 2nd element of the verses (dont just repeat the melodyline from the first element of each verse).
Arrange it better.
If your tune was made by me and was on my HD I think I would give it a try to improve it, then ditch it quick if I didn't succeed.
Keep it up!

thanks for the feedback. i dont know why i dont finish alot of my songs but maybe subconciously i know that they just dont cut it. i very much doubt that i could remember how to play this one, but i will try and get back into it and have a go of what you said. cheers.

If you want to finish more songs you might want to try what I describe in post #22 of my "Life Doesn't Rhyme" thread. Just skip over the stuff about unrhymed verses and read the rest.

Keep writing,
Don

Here is the text of that post:

"If you use the method I often use to write lyrics, unrhymed lines almost write themselves sometimes. I begin by writing a plain english summary of the song. I work on the summary until I have a title. I never start writing lyrics before I have the song's title. The title needs to appear in the verses of AABA songs and in the chorus of ABAB songs (like Rokket's song). I can't write those parts until I have my title. If the song has a chorus (the B in ABAB), the summary will help me write the chorus.

But before I start writing the chorus I write in plain english what I want to say in each verse and the bridge (if the song has one). I make sure the verses have a logical flow and they support the summary and the title. If the song has a bridge, I write in plain english some new important information for the bridge section -- something that the song needs to say, but won't fit in the verses. The inclusion of a bridge will sometimes have an effect on what you want to say in the verses, especially if you want to reveal some important new fact in the bridge. When I am done, I will have at least a paragraph for each section (verses, chorus, bridge) of the song.

Once I have all that written down I begin with the first verse. Sometimes I use lines from my first verse description almost verbatum. I let the lines flow naturally and don't concern myself too much with line length or meter. Once I have a rough first verse, I work with it until all the words are singable and I don't feel any urges to use rhymes. When I am happy with the first verse, I work on the other verses (sometimes I jump to the chorus at this point). When I write the other verses I try to match closely (not perfectly) the line length and meter from the first verse. This will make it possible to sing each verse with the same melody -- an important part of making the song memorable.

When I write the chorus I make sure that it sounds different from the verses. Using unrhymed verses makes that part easy. The tight rhymed lines of the chorus naturally will be different from the free unrhymed verses. I make sure the chorus sumarizes the song well and the title appears at least once; twice or three times is better. The chorus may be the only part your listeners memorize, so it needs to sound good and be easily sung.

I usually write the bridge last. Sometimes I use rhymes here and sometimes I don't. If the bridge doesn't pull it's weight and make the song better, I drop it.

If the song is an AABA song (with a bridge and no chorus), the writing process is pretty much the same as above. I just don't write a chorus section. The verses are much more important in this song form. They have to hold your interest without leading up to a memorable chorus; and (as I said above) the title must appear in each verse. It should appear in the exact same position (same line) in at least two of the verses."

An interesting idea to write what you want to say in each section of the song in plain english first, I like that a lot. Thanks for the tip!

HeyHeyMyMy said:
An interesting idea to write what you want to say in each section of the song in plain english first, I like that a lot. Thanks for the tip!
Don is a wealth of knowledge. You can't go wrong if you pay attention...

i also like that idea of writing stuff down in plain old english first. tips like those are priceless. ive been reading some stuff lately on the left and right brain techniques of writing. i dont know if anyone else has any knowledge on this theory but basically it states we are all obviously different, some of us extrovert, some introvert, some feel, some think etc etc. this multitude of different factors then determines how we write, and if we get a good understanding of how we write we can then understand our weak points, and use special techniques to improve.

however, i still remain unsure on this topic!!!!

Good tip about writing down what you want the song to say....

I've never written down where I wanted a song to go prior to writing the song, but I've done a similar thing....when I've got the song 3/4 finished and can't decide how to finish it, I've gone back and thought about -and sometimes even write down - what I want to say with the song. It's OK if it's different than what I originally intended to say... It helps keep the song consistent & focused. It also helps determine if you want to keep those lyrics in verse 2 or start them all over.

I usually write in a flurry of inspiration and sometimes it's good enough that I don't feel a need to rewrite except to fix problems with meter... But then I will latch on to an idea and not know where to go with it.
Don's technique (which I've used a couple times already) has helped me finish two of my songs. Now I just need to get off my butt and record them...

Back