Finished a few new songs (acoustic-rock style). Any critique is appreciated!

BJW

What's up?

Well, I've finished a couple of mixes of some new songs, and I would like your opinion on them. What is done well? What is bad? What could be better?

The first one is called Better This Way

And the other one is called The Way It Has To Be

They should both stream from those links. Alternitavely, you can go to the music page on my website and listen from there.

Recording notes:
Vocals: Me ->Studio Projects C1 -> PreSonus FirePod
Electric Guitars: PRS SE Soapbar II -> Line6 GuitarPort -> FirePod
Acoustic Guitars: Takamine FD-360sc -> matched pair of MXL 603s's -> FirePod
Bass: Dean Bass -> SWR Combo direct out to FirePod
Drums: Loops from Drums on Demand

Thanks for listening!

Better this way

Yup, pretty good song itself man.

The lead guitar in the left channel could be brought back into the mix a little, also, if it had PERFECT timing it would sit a lot better in the mix.

I like the drum sound in this tune, the snare sits well, could be a little more upfront in the mix though.

You're a pretty good singer, I can hear some intonation correction but it's still soundin good man. There are some parts where the vocals seem to slip behind the mix. The bride vocals are off a bit more here than anywhere else.

I think for a home recording geared for demo quality, this is more than acceptable.

The way it has to be

This is strikingly similar to the song by Howie Day - Collide. Check it out.

The lead guitar in right channel could also be brought back a little more as well.

I would really like to hear some more highs coming from the hi hats, it would give a nice sound with the snare. The feel you communicate at the start with the drums soloing causes the listener to pay close attention to the drum sound for at least a little while at the beginning, so work on bringing the high hats a little further forward.

Vocals, sounding alright man. I think they'd sound alot better with some warming of the track itself. I mean, this may just be personal preference, but I think that it would sound alot nicer with some warmer, smoother vocals. Try using some type of warmer, or tube plugin if you don't own a mic that can do this.

Overall man, pretty impressed. Cool tunes, you have a good musical ability. I like what you're doing here. Music like this sells, and if you want a chance in the industry, you've increased your odds by playing music like this. Keep up the good work.

packratlouie said:
Better this way

Yup, pretty good song itself man.

The lead guitar in the left channel could be brought back into the mix a little, also, if it had PERFECT timing it would sit a lot better in the mix.

I like the drum sound in this tune, the snare sits well, could be a little more upfront in the mix though.

You're a pretty good singer, I can hear some intonation correction but it's still soundin good man. There are some parts where the vocals seem to slip behind the mix. The bride vocals are off a bit more here than anywhere else.

I think for a home recording geared for demo quality, this is more than acceptable.

The way it has to be

This is strikingly similar to the song by Howie Day - Collide. Check it out.

The lead guitar in right channel could also be brought back a little more as well.

I would really like to hear some more highs coming from the hi hats, it would give a nice sound with the snare. The feel you communicate at the start with the drums soloing causes the listener to pay close attention to the drum sound for at least a little while at the beginning, so work on bringing the high hats a little further forward.

Vocals, sounding alright man. I think they'd sound alot better with some warming of the track itself. I mean, this may just be personal preference, but I think that it would sound alot nicer with some warmer, smoother vocals. Try using some type of warmer, or tube plugin if you don't own a mic that can do this.

Overall man, pretty impressed. Cool tunes, you have a good musical ability. I like what you're doing here. Music like this sells, and if you want a chance in the industry, you've increased your odds by playing music like this. Keep up the good work.

Thanks a lot for the compliments/suggestions. The electric guitar in "Better This Way" isn't played perfectly in the intro, and I definately agree - it throws it all off. I need to re-record that part. I'm also with you 100% on the drums in "The Way It Has To Be". They sound nice and crisp in the begining, but they just get lost when more instruments are added and the song picks up towards the end. I've been working on that part, too.

By the way, I love that Howie Day song. I'm going to see him in concert along with Switchfoot and Lifehouse in a few weeks.

Again, thanks so much for listening!

Listening on crappy work headphones.

Better This Way - I like the song a lot. On these headphones, the drums sounds a little lower. The kick maybe boost by a couple of db. The snare maybe 2-3 db. The hats and cymbals could either be boosted a couple of db and then EQ'd to bring out some high freqs. or they could be left at the current volume but really EQ'd to bring out some highs.

I actually did not notice any lead guitar issues. Maybe 'coz I am still biased by the last recording I heard from you that was just really cool. Plus I have this image that your songs are a certain type and that I like that type of songs so maybe I just don't listen to the mix that much.

It's cool that you have the lyrics posted on the site. I like the website also very much. :)

I'll listen to the other song later but I'm thinking that I'll like it. The overall sound of the song is just really cool.

Can I ask where you're recording (home studio/rented time in pro studio)? Also maybe the gear that you use. I like the guitar sounds.

One more love is gone
one more dream....

I like both of them, BUT, the lyrics remind way too much of Ryan Cabrera songs.

So, lyrically, they're a little weak. The melodies are good though, and I'm just a simpleton so take my criticsm with a grain of salt. :)

bigbubba said:
Listening on crappy work headphones.

Better This Way - I like the song a lot. On these headphones, the drums sounds a little lower. The kick maybe boost by a couple of db. The snare maybe 2-3 db. The hats and cymbals could either be boosted a couple of db and then EQ'd to bring out some high freqs. or they could be left at the current volume but really EQ'd to bring out some highs.

I actually did not notice any lead guitar issues. Maybe 'coz I am still biased by the last recording I heard from you that was just really cool. Plus I have this image that your songs are a certain type and that I like that type of songs so maybe I just don't listen to the mix that much.

It's cool that you have the lyrics posted on the site. I like the website also very much. :)

I'll listen to the other song later but I'm thinking that I'll like it. The overall sound of the song is just really cool.

Can I ask where you're recording (home studio/rented time in pro studio)? Also maybe the gear that you use. I like the guitar sounds.

One more love is gone
one more dream....

Thanks so much!

I take it as a huge compliment that you asked if I was renting time in a pro studio. I'm doing it at home - with a pretty modest setup. Here's what I've got for recording (and what it cost me).

As far as instruments go, my acoustic guitar is a Takamine FD-360sc ($1100) and my electric is a PRS SE Soapbar II ($330).

My interface is a PreSonus FirePod ($550). I use the pre's that are built into the firepod.

For mic's, I've got a Studio Projects C1 ($150) which I use for vocals. I've got a pair of MXL 603s mic's ($150) that I use for acoustic guitar, usually in an X/Y config. I've got an sm57 ($60) that I use occasionally, but not much.

For all my electric guitar sounds I use a Line 6 GuitarPort ($65). I'm partial to the Vox AC30 setting.

I use a pair of Event PS5's ($150) for monitoring.

That's pretty much it for me. For bass, I've got a friend who does bass for me and uses a Dean (I think) bass through a small SWR combo. We use the direct out on the SWR straight into the firepod.

For drums, I use Drums on Demand Vol. 1 ($50). I want to get a few more volumes for those - I really like the DOD sets.

I use Cubase (came with the FirePod).I've updated to SX 2, but I'd like to upgrade to SX 3 sometime.

So, my entire studio setup was just over $1000 (excluding instruments), and I built it up over several years. I think its amazing the quality of recording you can get for the money these days.

Hope this answers your question!

Thanks for listening!

By the way, I listened to your stuff on SoundClick the other day, and I liked it a lot! Nice job.

Nutdotnet said:
I like both of them, BUT, the lyrics remind way too much of Ryan Cabrera songs.

So, lyrically, they're a little weak. The melodies are good though, and I'm just a simpleton so take my criticsm with a grain of salt. :)

Hey, thanks for listening! I agree with you about the content of some of my stuff. Half the time I listen to it and think to myself "Avril Lavigne sings songs about this stuff", and then I just get pissed off, haha.

Oh well, I really am trying to write about deeper stuff, but a lot of these were written several years ago after a nasty break-up - so you know what kinds of songs that inspires.

Anyway, thanks again for listening!

Thanks for replying. You know, I just might shell out some dough for a Line 6 product. I've been looking at the PODs for a while but thought they were a little out of my range but now the GuitarPort sounds like it might be a worthwhile substitute in terms of simulating amp sounds. I've been doodling with a Demo of Amplitude also. Sounds interesting.

As far as instruments go, my acoustic guitar is a Takamine FD-360sc ($1100) and my electric is a PRS SE Soapbar II ($330).
Now you're just plain teasing me with the guitar names. I drool over PRS guitars all the time. Takamine's are my favorite acoustics. I've been ranting about them for almost 6-7 months since I found out about them.

I've been playing along Better This Way at home. I can't sing and keep time. Something about that song. Anyhoo, I think I have the chord progression down but I could be wrong. :)

I noticed some Christian songs on your page. Cool! :)

By the way, I listened to your stuff on SoundClick the other day, and I liked it a lot! Nice job.
Hee hee, you flatter me.... thanks. :)

bigbubba said:
Thanks for replying. You know, I just might shell out some dough for a Line 6 product. I've been looking at the PODs for a while but thought they were a little out of my range but now the GuitarPort sounds like it might be a worthwhile substitute in terms of simulating amp sounds. I've been doodling with a Demo of Amplitude also. Sounds interesting.

Now you're just plain teasing me with the guitar names. I drool over PRS guitars all the time. Takamine's are my favorite acoustics. I've been ranting about them for almost 6-7 months since I found out about them.

I've been playing along Better This Way at home. I can't sing and keep time. Something about that song. Anyhoo, I think I have the chord progression down but I could be wrong. :)

I noticed some Christian songs on your page. Cool! :)

Hee hee, you flatter me.... thanks. :)

No problem! I sent you a PM.

Back