Finding the Right Tempo

I wanted this post to be informative as well as inquisitive. :)

Putting it mildly, I have always strained in finding the correct tempo when laying down songs in my home studio. (I am a rock or pop/rock singer/songwriter.) Sometimes I’m too fast, other times I’m too slow. I like using a click track for most songs, but it seems that my mind adapts to whatever tempo I set it on, so I can’t feel a difference after about ten seconds of playing along, (unless there’s a major difference, of course). This led me to an experiment recently:

Because I sing and play all of the instruments, I decided to try different methods for finding the tempo. First, I recorded a rough track without a click track. This was just singing and playing acoustic guitar, trying to keep a steady beat, not playing with a lot of force. Second, I sang the number relaxed and a capella, again without a click track. I then repeated this process seven times for a total of eight different original songs. Comparing the two versions recorded for each track, I found, almost every time, the a capella version to be the faster of the two. Next, I am going to try and match the click track to my rough recordings, and find some kind of middle ground between the two. The click track has one hundred decimal places, so accuracy is possible if I kept a solid beat. If all goes well, I would then use this resulting middle ground click track value as the tempo for the song. This, for the most part, is all I can think of for finding the tempo, and I am not sure if it will work. It hasn't always in the past.

I have also used a BMP analyzer on other people’s professionally recorded songs that I would imagine to have a similar feel and tempo to my songs, and then used the resulting tempo. This again hasn’t always worked because my song and someone else’s are not the same.

Does anyone else struggle with this? Does anyone have any tricks for finding the right tempo that I haven’t mentioned? Thanks, all responses are welcome.:)

I struggle with it in terms of when I play a song or make up a song and just play it I am happy...but then if I want to use drums I have to use loops or midi and then it feels very artificial to play along with that. In other words, I am happy with the tempo and yeah, I find the tempo when I just play...but sometimes using midi or loop drums it feels like I have to march a certain way.

it can be a make or break thing for sure, the tempo.

i guess I kind of set it to a rythm guitar most the time, thats usually a main instrument. but later its not always right and I'm too lazy to rerecord it, the ideas down and its off to the next one.

sometimes the click track is the best track of my whole recording.

If I'm struggling I tend to record something, like a riff from the tune, without the click track, at a tempo that feels comfortable to me. Then I snip the beginning of the sample to start at the very start of the riff, and stick the result at the very beginning of the grid. Then I just fiddle around with the tempo with the click on until it roughly matches up.

I set the tempos for my band (we play to a click live). I just ask the guitarist to sing & play the song through at the tempo he wants it, and set the click in my headphones so he can't hear it. That way the click doesn't influence him and I get my tempo (to the nearest bpm). I don't usually bother with .anything, if you want that much freedom from the click I don't think you should be using one...

If the finished tune were just guitar/voice, then in a choice between guitar/voice and a capella, I would go with the guitar/voice tempo because that's what the song's going to be. Along those same lines, if the finished song will be a full band, then when working on the parts, I would try to figure which part(s) gave you the strongest impression of a particular tempo and lay down your tracks with that in mind.

If no tempo seems to work, I'd consider changing some parts as the problem might be that the parts are just not getting along.

Finally, I've found that if I record tunes roughly first instead of with a goal of perfection, I can get a sense of whether the tune's working or not before I've spent too much time on it.

Back