Find the Enemy

I don't know if I'm feeling this one. Those violins seem to be off of any kind of melody. It's like a cacophony of strings. I like the rest though. Very mellow but there still seems to be some tension. I don't know exactly how a dobro is supposed to sound, but what you captured here seems a little thin. The rest sounds pretty good. Snare seems a little relatively dry.

It's verging on the edge - the recording is really really good but the thing is teetering in spots. At times it shines as a avant garde piece but other times not so much due to pitch. I like it - I'd work on it a bit more...

Louder dobro - the "detune" effect of the thing is fine - they always sound like that - could be a little thicker.
I like the fiddles - slightly ghostly against the dobro.
Cool stuff - I actually wanted it to go on longer.
This would make a great intro for a rollicking tune not unlike the Eagles track used for The Hitchiker's Guide...( that track uses the elements you have + banjo I think).

Hmmm. Stepping back from that one for a while. I tried to keep constant vertigo in it. Then there's this violin thing. I don't know exactly what I'm looking for.

TX for the comments. It does need cleanup as it stands. Lazy strings. Some of the dissonance, too dissonant. I don't hear that until I get it through the little mono test speaker.

You got the vertigo part right - I can't even type without falling down!:eek: I just came from your other post all happy and snappy.... You might be making a lot of auditory demands on this underdeveloped guitar-player brain. :confused: Ouwwee... Ok, second listen.... Ahh, yes, the drums are almost straight, I can kinda lock on and hold myself in place... oh wait...wooah... the violins...:drunk:If that's a chord, they haven't named it yet:eek:! I made it to the end. Thank you for expanding my horizons Jeff :):D....I need to lay down....

This has some really interesting stuff on it jeff. I love the atmosphere, but agree the strings are too discordant as it stands at the moment. If you can hammer out a little more form in it, you'll have something really nice. I enjoyed the false endings too.

I don't know if you know a band called the Dirty Three, but I think you're moving in similar territory and I think they are always treading the right side of that fine line holding the structure together too. This is a great example of them if you're interested.

Well, not so much musically, I think. I'd like to keep things a bit more interesting. I'm leaning...when not trying to create virtigo, for a more Bach-style [lite] in the strings. I think there's only two chords and a bunch of loops of organic instruments...and the fiddle meowing over the top. I really hope to be able to play the thing with gusto, someday!

The photographer's style I like! Nuthin' like a #4 magenta filter. But some of his subjects are scary.

I used to take photos of dead people at crime scenes and suspicious death events...auto fatalities, etc.. CSI guy. Some of my subjects were hale n' hearty by comparison! The first dude looks like he woke up during his accidental autopsy. Yike.

Jeez, I hadn't even noticed the gruesome photography. I'm currently writing a tender application (or more accurately, looking for distractions from writing a tender application), and just put it on in the background as I was working :eek:

It's one of their more repetitive ones, but I love the atmosphere that that repetition builds up and how it provides a platform for the earthy, organic sounding violin part - thought I could hear something similar in your work.

Well, I gots mo' manly drums! I Also hear a major diff in the more disorganized sonance of the D3 piece, and the organized dissonance of my splendeiferous nonsense. I went to great pains to provide muiltiple frequency discomforts in every progression. :^) A sonic version of the visual that accompanies D3.

BTW...What's a 'tender application'?? Why can't you Brits speak Engrish!!!

Well, I gots mo' manly drums! I Also hear a major diff in the more disorganized sonance of the D3 piece, and the organized dissonance of my splendeiferous nonsense. I went to great pains to provide muiltiple frequency discomforts in every progression. :^) A sonic version of the visual that accompanies D3.

BTW...What's a 'tender application'?? Why can't you Brits speak Engrish!!!

I think a tender application is a submission of a price for work to be carried out.

Or a quote, if you prefer. :)

When the violins come in, they come in very powerful. Before that, I was thinking to myself that the drums were too loud. During the violin parts, they're too soft.

A bit too "modern artsy" for me, dude. Double bass is too low, too. I really would love to hear that (or maybe the drums are just too loud during the softer parts)

You definitely don't settle for status quo, Jeff, and I think that's a good thing.

cool song, great performance!
some small mix-critique:
the beginning sounds really good, but when the strings come it gets a little bit confused (mix-vise). the guitars could have a little bit more 3D - it sounds they are mono (including the reverb). check if the reverb is applied in stereo. otherweise you could try a slight chorus. another option would be to have a stereo delay panned to 9 & 3. both should mixed to the "auditory threshold" (you don't notice it, but when you switch it off you miss something), its just to give it more 3D.

Back