Finally used DensitymkIII on my master buss

wmalan

So I've entered the intrepid Mastering room... (go easy on me).

I treated my "studio" and now have a very even sounding room. So now I'm finally trying to output my final mixes (can you tell I'm afraid of using the term Mastering?). Anyone else here using the DensitymkIII compressor on your master buss . For a final mixing newbie, this plugin really makes my sound punch through. Not bad for free!

Me, too. Got it a while ago, before I realized the UA and .dll plugs don't work with Reason. Haven't tried it because I'd have to ReWire my song to Reaper to use it...Not sure exactly how to do that yet. Think MM's going to get my business coming up....just to see how pro mastering sounds on my semi-pro :-)laughings:) mixes.

Yes that helps huge! But now I have a headache from the constant two chord pad going in the background. :eek:

Not trying to derail this thread, but just to be sure I understand: If I ReWire Reason into Reaper and play my final mixes through Reason I can apply plugs across the master bus in Reaper, yes?
That would be :D :D :guitar: :thumbs up: :D :D

Not trying to derail this thread, but just to be sure I understand: If I ReWire Reason into Reaper and play my final mixes through Reason I can apply plugs across the master bus in Reaper, yes?
That would be :D :D :guitar: :thumbs up: :D :D

That doesn't make any sense. Why wouldn't you just render out and master in Reaper?

This demo of my cover band (I recorded and mixed it) has Density mkIII pinned on the master buss:

-----
Bootsy's VSTs are some serious shit. I almost can't believe they are free...

Last edited:
That doesn't make any sense. Why wouldn't you just render out and master in Reaper?

^^^ That's what I thought.

You see no value in being able to tweak parts as the compression changes the dynamics (and often the mids)? Sorry, I'm not a pro. I need to be able to redo on the fly when I hear something that's not right. Or maybe better comp/limiters are more transparent than the generics I've been used to...:)

OK, I threw Density on the master buss of a simple single-track demo I recorded, and couldn't figure out how to work it - no matter how I played with the knobs, it was still clipping.
I ended up using the very simple Kjerhaus master limiter, easily set it to boost my low stuff up just enough, and no clipping, limited right to 0.3.

You see no value in being able to tweak parts as the compression changes the dynamics (and often the mids)? Sorry, I'm not a pro. I need to be able to redo on the fly when I hear something that's not right. Or maybe better comp/limiters are more transparent than the generics I've been used to...:)

If mixing and mastering are two different processes, doing it this way could help get better mixes before going through the mastering process. My understanding is, when you send your music off for mastering, it is a two channel "mixed" rendering. Therefore, the ME has only to work with the mix, headroom and EQ.

Might be a good exercise if you ever send your music out for pro-mastering.

I've never used Density mk iii on the master buss, but I always use it for drum overheads. Its niiiiiice sounding!

Can someone provide a snapshot/screenprint of their Density GUI so I can get an idea of the settings to start with?

For my overheads, I don't adjust much. Set it to Setting 4, then up the gain pretty hot....not maxed but pretty cranked. It oozes awesome sauce.

Back