Finally something new!

johnboy

Home Recording Jedi
Howdy folks.

It has been a while since I have been around.

Last year was ultra busy.

I have finally found some time to work on some new material, it has been almost a year.

The song is called "So Fine The Wind".

-john :)

Hey johnboy,

I think the vocals are the strongest part of your song. They are recorded very nicely.

About the drums: They sound small to me. A little too far back in the mix maybe. They almost sound mono too, panned straight up the middle.

Good job. You have a nice song.

John,

This is a really good song! :)

Two things though...

The bass is a bit "muddy".
Try EQ'ing it for more punch and clarity.

Also, I've heard you sing before and your voice is excellent.
You didn't need to do that Duncan Sheik vocal-doubling-delay thingie that's going on.
I'd like to hear your voice with minimal effects in this song.

Good work, though!

Buck

Good stuff

Greetings,

First impression....vocals have way too much effects.
Sounds like you got a good voice, put it forward.
Everyone knows tons of effects are a great way to cover a crappy voice (which is how I use them)

I actually didn't like the additional vocals panned so hard... kinda made me notice them too much.

Good overall song.

SirRiff

feedback on the drums....they sound ok...but maybe a little "distant" sounding....like depending on room mics too much for their sound....that kinda sound. I think that sound has its place, with the kick not being so punchy, etc...and not sure if this is what you wanted. The tunes is a good one, and agreeably, you have a nice voice. ...not too much effects for me.

The song seems to start out at a low volume, and my biggest complaint is actually the acoustic gtr sound at the beginning....in the context of the song, it sounds better, however. I really like your vocals.

This is a very, very good song! I have no complaints. You are obviously a very good drummer and I like your technique. I like the crashes you put in. I also liked the organ part at about 1:00 to 1:11. Everything seemed mixed very well, and was crisp and clear. Great job!

t

timothy,

I agree, the drums are distant sounding. Chalk it up to hearing something on my monitors that didn't translate well in the mix. Couple that with recording the drums first, sans any other instrumentation. They are virtually mono too... I was trying something a little different than how I normally work and it didn't get me the best results. (I usually pan stuff TOO much):)

Buck,

Bass has always been hard for me to get a good recording of. I plan on experimenting more with that in the future. Thanks for the kind words overall! :) When I re-cut this one, I will take your advise on the vocals.

SirRiff,

I am not sure what effects I used anymore. I thought I used a touch of reverb and doubled them. Do you think if I had done a better job of using the stereo field with the rest of the instrumentation, the hard panned BG vocals at the end would have been ok?

mixmkr,

I agree, the intro volume is horrible. I really spent too little time tracking that acoustic, and think that had I spent more, I could have gotten something more pleasant happening.

langleyt,

Thanks very much for the nice words. Hopefully in the future I will be able to get is closer to perfect with the help from all this great feedback.

:)

-john

Sounds spot on to me. I really like the vocal double (one of my favorite tricks). And as far as the drums go, again, spot on. I used to pan the drums out but I don't any more. I might pan the tom mics a little (tom 1=10:00/ tom 2=2:00/ floor=12:00) and now I use a single overhead and a room mic. Practicly mono. Great tune. Good job.

Thanks Track Rat!

Sometimes you go for an aesthetic and you fail, sometimes you hit it on the head, and sometimes you only partially hit it.

I appreciate the replies, they are leading me closer to hitting it on the head.

:)

-john

Back