Finally (semi) done

Thanx John! Actually, I have a few photo's of the whole process, but I thought it might be good to do a layout drawing, then a few explinations with the pic's.....I'll d/l smartdraw and see if I can get that together.....would love to have it on your site, thanx!
Vern

John,
Thanx for the smartdraw link, MUCH easier than Viseo! I did the layout and posted it on the pix page, go ahead and grab whatever you need. Now the real fun begins!
Thanx,
Vern

John,

You may recall that just before you left for your trip I communicated with you re suggestions for a studio design for our room which is similar in size to Vern's. One of my main problems is that I needed to maximise the tracking room space so that it can still be used for other things (keeping the wife happy).
I was already familiar with your "double garage" design from your tutorials and even before that from having spent time at Cloud Studios...........unfortunately it isn't suited to my needs.

All that said, while you were away I came up with a workable idea........IDENTICAL to Vern's.

Do you imagine this design would be acoustically acceptable with appropriate treatment. Damn, I hope so..........lol.

Peace.........ChrisO
:cool:

Yes ChrisO it would.

I have two problems, firstly if you look at the rear walls in signpainter's room you will see only a few sets of cloth on the walls and the ceiling. I would cover both the rear walls and part of the ceiling with 4" insulation. Same in the studio, there is not much absorption in there at all and all the sounds will be boxy as there will be a boxy ambience around all the sounds gererated in the room. Take a look at Joe Egans studio and look at the amount of 4" insulation they have used, also look at the studio I posted.

Secondly I do have a problem with entering the control room via the studio. People will walk in during a take etc so I'd either put the control room by the entrance door or put a narrow passage to the control room.

Cheers
John

John, I appreciate your help. The walls in both the main room and the control room actually have rpg's 2'x4' pro foam and a few of their 1'x1' pro foam tiles (http://www.rpgdiffusors.com/products/profoam/index.htm). The corners are rpg's pro corners (http://www.rpgdiffusors.com/products/procorner/index.htm)

My thinking in the control room was to leave a little wall area exposed so it would a little "live" area to brighten it up a bit. I really havent read much about treating ceilings, I have a bunch of the 1'x1' 1'x1' pro foam tiles that I haven't applied. Would you suggest covering the gaps in the control room with them? How should I treat the ceilings?(solid, or in a pattern, close to the walls, or uniformly across the ceiling.

Again, thanx for your input,
Vern

John,

Thanks for your input. I have already worked out (from studying your info) what I think the diffusion/absorbtion needs may be.
I had intended to build my vocal booth 90 deg., opposed to Vern's and have a small entry vestibule between the booth and the control room. Our main entry here is straight across from the proposed control room, but will have double walls and doors with some form of lock during tracking.

Regards,

ChrisO :cool:

Vern, those 1" x 1" foam sheets I'd put in a block directly above the console are where you sit to stop floor ceiling refelections in your mixing area.

Sorry for missreading your acoustic treatment.:)

cheers
john

John,
I'll be doing the tiles above my control room seating in the morning. Any other suggestions to get the most out of the 2 rooms? Thanx for putting my little garage on your site!
Vern

Back