Finally put vox to one of my songs. Let me know what you think

MrMcSick

Ok this is some super heavy metal first off. Off time polyrythem hardcore stuff. I can't figure out what to do for the intro/outro riff. I just did acouple screams on the intro but think its pretty boring and did nothing for the outro which is the same riff. So one give me an idea of what to do here.

Also are the vox ok? not to high of a pitch, right? to monotonus? There is no singing only screaming so there isn't much I can do to change it up or be different.

Let me know guys.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7029946

Yeah the vox are too high pitched. Monotonous - well a little yes.
Polyrhythmic? Really?
Off time as in out of synch or oft time as in often?
You can change the screaming - make some of it singing - this is relentlessly screamy - a bit like a Beatles concert in '67.
The mix seems ok for the genre:
let's see:
relentlessly smashing cymbals - tick
relentlessly screaming vocals - tick
Relentless riff pummel frontal lobes - tick
Relentless multi beat bass drum - nope.
Sub definition bass - tick (it really could use a little definition)

Yeah, the mix suits the genre.

Yeah it's kind of boring. The vocals sound forced and fake. Sort of poser-ish. Mix sounds okay, but the song just doesn't grab you by the balls and rip your guts out.

Largely, the mix sounds pretty good. Kind of like Genghis Tron or similar extreme metal.

The vocals were the main thing that stuck out as unimpressive. It sounds like you're singing semi-intelligibly in a small, reverb-free box. I'd recommend either making the vocals less intelligible and harsher (the extreme metal route) or adding some reverb and some actual vocal melodies.

Either way, more dynamics would improve things. Just grinding along doing the same thing for 3 minutes gets kind of boring.

Thanks for the remarks guys. Do you mean make the lyrics dumber haha? I don't see what that would do other than change the message. I messed up when I decided to make abunch of songs that where basically mimicing specific bands/genre's. I've wrote tons of original songs in my life but This time I just decided that I liked to many sub genre's of metal and made 7 songs that basically copy or sound similar to individual bands I like. This song is in the vain of Meshuggah, I think the music worked out pretty good but its not nearly as technical. The vocs on the other hand, all he does is scream through their songs. I love it but it doesn't seem like I am aproching or doing it right. Im gonna have to re evaluate whats going on here.

Not less intelligent, less intelligible. As in enunciate less. If you're going to do extreme metal, you can't risk your listeners being able to understand a single lyric. :D

I listened to parts of the two mixes back to back. I honestly didn't hear any difference?

Well the difference is the guitar melody over the intro riff and no more screamin there, a melody over the quiter part in the bridge to take up space and the melody over the last riff and then it turns into a random not tap solo and a fade out. Im gonna re-do some of these vox to make them sound less robotic.

Definately has a Meshuggah vibe with less powerful vox. The drums need serious definition in this genre. I would try and fatten up the rythym section, and just get a more crisp mix in general, and lose a little of the vocal distortion. Not bad for what you are going for, but it's not really everyones cup of tea.

Back