Finally got to record using my Tascam M-520 & MS-16

flyingace

I really got lucky with some great gear for very little $$, but even luckier that I found this forum and great people to help me (@sweetbeats, @rob aylestone, @RFR). It’s not great, and I’m not too polished with making videos, so I missed a lot of details, my guitar work… well, it needs work! but it’s a start and proof that my system is set up and working.

Here is my workflow that I didn’t really mention in the video:
My whole system is set up using patchbays.
Room mic was Warm Audio WA-87 (U87 clone) run through ART MPA II preamp, Klark Teknik 76-KT (1176 clone), Lexicon MX400 effects
Neck mic was AKG P170 run through ART MPA II preamp, Klark Teknik KT-2A (LA2A clone), Lexicon MX400 effects
Taylor G5e guitar direct thru one of the M-520 instrument inputs (Ch.1) run through ART VLA Pro II compressor, Lexicon MX400 effects

I have so much to learn, like doing overdubs/punch ins, using the AQ-65 Remote Locator, how to mix down to 2 track and how to route that through the M-520… and so much more, but that’s the fun of it all, ain’t it? :)

Just to clarify, the song I'm playing is not my own and I'm not trying to make any $$ off of it's recording. It was recorded by Stuff - Love of Mine (written by Gordon Edwards) in 1977.

Last edited:
Awesome it’s up and running!

Why run the Taylor direct ? Personally I wouldn’t, I’d just use the mics. Even though the Rupert Neve electronics are pretty good I’d still prefer mics.

There was some distortion going on during the playback.

Well, you’re up and going. Congrats. Proof of life :D
Now the real fun starts!

Awesome it’s up and running!

Why run the Taylor direct ? Personally I wouldn’t, I’d just use the mics. Even though the Rupert Neve electronics are pretty good I’d still prefer mics.

There was some distortion going on during the playback.

Well, you’re up and going. Congrats. Proof of life :D
Now the real fun starts!
Just an option, I have plenty of tracks to work with, so I thought I’d do it. The mix ended up being mostly the U87 clone room mic, so you’re right and next time I may only do that.

I’m wondering it it was Youtube with the distortion? I don’t hear any on my end. In the early part of the playback, I had some meters peaking but by the time I got the effects and the bus sliders under control (first time doing this, so lots of errors on my end!), I think I made it sound better. Your ears may be better than mine!

Thanks, YES, proof all the hard work getting set up is working, still lots to learn and figure out, but as @sweetbeats said to me a while back, all of this will make more sense to you once you start using it all!

I just noticed the first part of the video (room mic) sounded better.

On playback through the Yamahas it sounded too compressed and a bit distorted when you strummed hard.

I could be wrong and must confess I only listened on my phone

Ok, pulled out my cans (headphones). Better.
Didn’t hear the distortion I was hearing before. Still seems a tad over compressed and the reverb sets the acoustic back too far.
Most likely the distortion I was hearing was coming off my phone.

The first part captured by the room mic was louder. The playback part was a bit lower in volume and I turned up the volume on my phone.
I’d hardly say an iphone is a wonderful listening device. My apologies. :)

But, hey! You’re up and running!!! Whoo hoo!
Now your wife won’t see you for at least a month as you get all dialed in. ;)
Ain’t life grand?
:D

It’s kinda funny, i’m so new to doing videos like this, not sure how to get better sound. After using this awesome equipment, mics, console, recorder, effects, etc. all of this video’s audio is recorded using a $40 podcaster kit I got at walmart with a little mic plugged into my iphone! the weakest link! Then add youtube video compression… it sounds great in the room. I’m still learning how to get the right monitor gain, and so many more things that I don’t even no what questions to ask at this point.

Thanks for your feedback, I truly value it!

It’s kinda funny, i’m so new to doing videos like this, not sure how to get better sound. After using this awesome equipment, mics, console, recorder, effects, etc. all of this video’s audio is recorded using a $40 podcaster kit I got at walmart with a little mic plugged into my iphone! the weakest link! Then add youtube video compression… it sounds great in the room. I’m still learning how to get the right monitor gain, and so many more things that I don’t even no what questions to ask at this point.

Thanks for your feedback, I truly value it!
Have fun. This is a major victory.

One small step for ace, one giant leap for analog. :D

Last edited:
Congrats on getting the tape rolling!

However, I'm going to ding you for copyright infringement for that song!!!

Back in 2014, I was working with a lady. She had a couple of kids, and two dogs, Waylon and Floater, that she would talk about all the time. So for her birthday that year I sat down at my Zoom R24 and I wrote her a little song and stuck it on a CD. It's only one minute long. I heard your chord progression and went BINGO! He done STOLE my song. 😜

View attachment HB Sheila 2014 R-24.mp3

Congrats on getting the tape rolling!

However, I'm going to ding you for copyright infringement for that song!!!

Back in 2014, I was working with a lady. She had a couple of kids, and two dogs, Waylon and Floater, that she would talk about all the time. So for her birthday that year I sat down at my Zoom R24 and I wrote her a little song and stuck it on a CD. It's only one minute long. I heard your chord progression and went BINGO! He done STOLE my song. 😜

View attachment 125270
Nope, I gave credit to the original published writers of that song: Love of Mine – Stuff (written by their bass player Gordon Edwards). I used to play this song all through college in 1989 and 1990. It was so obscure, and the singer songwriter style I played it was so different from the original, people just loved it. I love the original too! Stuff was a band of session jazz musicians formed by drummer Steve Gadd back in the early 70s.

That said, you're song is really sweet and a wonderful thing you did for Sheila!

Back