Finally finished our mixes!!!

jonorigin

Hi there

I've posted a couple of times asking people for tips on mixes of some of our songs. i got quite close to what I wanted but not quite there! Well, now our drummer has taken over duties and seems to have done a far better job!! If you like you can take alisten to the stuff here:

www.brokendaylight.com/songs

Any feedback on mixing/songwriting type stuff woulde be greatly appreciated!!

cheers

jon
broken daylight
http://www.brokendaylight.com

The 2 songs are good, nice job writing and performing. The vocals are well done, very listenable voice. About the mix...I'm no expert, but I think the bottom end needs work. The bass sounds muddy and the kick drum is very fuzzy, unclear sounding. Not sure what frequencies need cutting/boosting, but maybe cutting 200-300hz will give you a start. On the second song, the snare doesn't sound right, it stands out all by itself, to my ears, maybe some reverb and lower. Hope that helps.

i would have to agree with slkeen about the low end. I couldn't even hear the bass drum at most parts. I would try to make the vocals a bit more distant sounding to get them in line with the rest of the mix. To be very very picky, i thought the snare drum could use some work... sounds like a fisher price snare. almost like there is too much vibration or something.
All and all a pretty solid mix. Definately demo quality.

I really like the song! It seems to be clipping all over the place on the loud parts though. The digital clipping sounds really bad and otherwise screws up a good mix. Good job on the drums.

Thanks for that! I thought I could hear clipping so it's good to know there's nothing wrong my ears as none of my friends could tell, i thought I was imagining it!! I have also put up another new track here if anyone is interested:

Awsome song!!

Hey man, great song! I agree with the comments on the lo end
tho, but the song...........Fuckin wicked man I loved it, I wish
I had written it haha:D You guy's sound like a band that I would love to see live! Awsome, keep it up!!

It's definitely clipping a lot. Something is weird with the drums. Don't hear a lot of kick, i think it's like what someone said about about the low end being muddy. And the snare sounds a little out of place and loud. The songs are cool though. Keep it up :)

"Stand Up"

Drums are pretty loud in the mix. Guitars are not very audible in comparison. I would adjust both of these accordingly. Mix as a whole sounds muddy, I am reminded of a washing machine. Definitely good drum and vocal performance. I couldn't really make out the guitar and bass very clearly.

I gave the other two a quick listen, I think overall the same comments apply, although the other two werent quite so "washing machine"-ish. I think the drums are definitely too loud. I also agree with the comment about the clipping, the mix could be turned down a bit.

Nice sound though, I did like the songs.

Back