Finally a great guitar tone

DaveDrummer

I finally nailed the guitar tone I been looking for, for many years. It sounds just like the guitars on Aerosmiths 'toys in the attic'. Anyway, the big trick was this:

kill the treble

a lot more than you think

turn the tone down on the guitar, and the amp if you need to. I also used a room mic and panned them apart. a very lively guitar sound..

Dude. I just went and did everything you said . . . killed the treble and the tone knob. Even panned the room mic.

And it sounds nothing like Aerosmith. Not one ioda. In fact, it sounds more like the 80's band, Helix. Do you remember those guys?

I ain't listenin' to anymore of your advice, dude. :D :D

DaveDrummer said:

I also used a room mic and panned them apart. a very lively guitar sound..
Did you use one mic or two? What amp did you use? What guitar did you use. What mics did you use? How did you position them? How is your recording room set up?(for the room sound). What are you using for recording... mixer,compressor, plugins?

DaveDrummer said:

turn the tone down on the guitar, and the amp if you need to.

What does "if you need to" mean?

You have to share man!:)

Thx in advance.

It's possible that when you turned down the tone knob, what you actually did was turned down the gain.

Try turning down the gain on the amp to the point that if you lightly brush the strings with a pick, you will get a clean sound. Then turn that tone knob back up and see if you get the same or better sound.

Could also be the pickups or the guitar itself that is producing this effect.

Cy

Its an agile les paul copy w/ a Duncan 59 in the bridge.

Its a Peavey Classic 30 amp w/ JJ tubes and a Greenback speaker

The room is pretty dead.

I always got a pretty bad fuzzy/buzzy sound out of my amps. I dont do any heavy overdrive stuff so it's not that. When I rolled off the tone though, it all went away. I have no idea why. Just sharing that.

Back