Final mix down on 2 tracks or ....

Paranfer

My question is?

I make beats with Reason 1.0, Technics KN-930sx keyboard, and i'm
using Cubase.So when my instrumental is finish, should i export it in 2 tracks
( stereo ), and reimport these 2 track in Cubase pan right and left.
After that, record the vocal and make my mix out of that.

or

Export each tracks independant, reimport each track independant in Cubase,
so it makes around 12-16 tracks, only for the instrumental, and after record the vocal and make my mix out of that.Of course it's all 24 bits 48khz.

And for the exportation, should i make the meter level peak at 0db,fader also at 0db for these instrumentals tracks, ( either if it's 2 tracks or 16 ).
Anybody can help, cuz i try both of it, and my final mix is not enough loud,
and, personnaly, when i mix down only with 2 instrumental tracks, the vocals
don't really match with the instrumental, don't really fade in the beat,
but, when i make my mix with each tracks ( the instrumental ) independant,
after that record the vocal, so the session is like, 12-16 instrumentals tracks and around 60 vocals tracks, so it makes 70-80-90 tracks to mix down
in 2 tracks.Maybe it's better to mix dwon the instrumental in 2 tracks,
so it's 2+60 vocals=60-70 tracks.

Can anyone help me with that ?

i dont think I even know what you just said.

But from what i could decipher...I'd rewire Reaon into Cubase and mix in there, and then render the track down.

Yep, you're probably right, i didn't think about that, thanks for the help stash98, not even knowing what i just said, that will help me.

Yes, and i really mean 60 tracks, depending of the concept of the track.Sometimes it can go up to 128 audio tracks, which is the maximum track i can run on my computer and the maximum someone's can mixdown to two tracks.It's really a hard job to do.

How you mix your tracks really depends on what you're mixing. You might want to mix sub groups like the bass and all the drums. I'd try mixing up about 6 subgroups and mix them down with the vocals. When doing the final mix, keep the main faders at 0db and mix the levels of the tracks together to your tase and don't exceed -6bd on your main's meter.

Then start a new song, import the master track panned hard L & R, run it through a light compressor to kill the peaks. Then normalize it up to 0db. That may solve your volume problem.

Thanks a lot for the information NYmorningstar, that's a good answer to my question.
Logically,for sure that should help me to solve the problem with the final mix.The subgroups is quite a good idea too.Thanks again.satisfied with the explanation.100%

and also, I'd reccomend using subgroups to get everything somewhat aligned. Normalzing is ok, but it's permament. Changing audio permantly is something I do at last resort. It's a lot easier to just make a volume submix that all your tracks feed into, and boost that up into the master.

oh yeah, once you mix a song down..please post so we can hear this!

stash98 said:
and also, I'd reccomend using subgroups to get everything somewhat aligned. Normalzing is ok, but it's permament. Changing audio permantly is something I do at last resort. It's a lot easier to just make a volume submix that all your tracks feed into, and boost that up into the master.

oh yeah, once you mix a song down..please post so we can hear this!
Not sure what you mean when you say normalizing is permanent? It's just another track that you'd save with a new name and is not destrutive at all to your mix unless you write over it. I reduce the peaks first and then normalize because that raises all the peaks bringing up the RMS level and raising the perceived loudness.

NYMorningstar said:
I reduce the peaks first and then normalize because that raises all the peaks bringing up the RMS level and raising the perceived loudness.
That's called "compression". ;)

G.

I see what you are saying, but that seems like a ton of work to get levels right.

The less processing of the overall mix the better, and for me, just using a volume submix achieves the same results. I also think normalizing is an easy way to fix a problem that began earlier in tracking. if you record your tracks with your input peaks at -6, and then route the mix to a volume submix and boost that 6 db, it is a much more natural way to get the true sound of the song. you then enter the mastering zone and get your limiters, multiband eqs..etc going on.

I think newcomers should look at normalizing as more of a last resort then a standard procedure. IMO only.

You guys have both nice though, good guidelines, satisfied explanation.I think you gave me all the information i needed, but if you have any other tips, post it, i really appreciate guys.

Oh yeah, stash98, or anybody, how do i post song, my final mix, how can i post it here, so you can listen to it, i don't know how to do it and no problem i would be happy to post it here so can listen to it.See you later guys, i've a
golf session.I'll be back around 17:00.Thanks again to all of you.

well after you mix down to a 2 channel wav save it. then download the lame mp3 encoder and make an mp3. post it on a host like soundclick or whatever you want.

FORE!!

Thanks a lot for the explanation NYmorningstar, now i know how to post an MP3 and a lot of method on how to mix down and make a final, last processing audio tracks.Thanks a lot again, any other tips to improve a mix,
you're welcome, i'll be glad to hear from all of you who help me with these
questions,thanks again.

Back