Final Live Recording Set-up

ridgeback

After alot of reading I think I've got my decision made. I posted on this a while back RE coming out of my live board into my computer.

So if I come out of my insert jacks (post-pre) and into an Echo Audiofire 12 I think that could be pretty sweet. Wondering if anyone has experience with Echo's stuff. Seems like a good deal for a 12 channel converter. Also it comes with Traktion software which I'm not familiar with. My only concern there is importing this stuff into my ProTools rig at the studio for mixdown.

Lenovo 3000 Thinkpad
Intel Duo
Windows XP Pro

the audiofire 12 is a great unit-- excellent converters for the price, solid build quality, great company support (good driver development too). it has some coarse metering on the front panel which will probably help for your uses. it doesn't have a headphone out, which is a little annoying, but a small trade off for the benefits. the audiofire 8 uses the same converter chips, has less i/o, has two pres, only goes to 96khz (rather than 192khz for the 12), no metering and has a headphone output.
the audiofires come with tracktion 1 (it's now up to 3). if i were in your situation, i'd spring $50 for a reaper license, which is a better program in my experience and humble opinion (i have reaper, i used to use tracktion 1 and 2).
you'll be fine moving audio files into pro tools. if they all start at 0:00, or if you slip extend them to, just import them into pro tools and mix away.

The only problem you may come up against is that since the faders will be controlling the signal level, you may have to have the faders lower than you might normally for a live set-up in order not to blast the interface with too hot a signal. This might possibly screw up your live mix.

Importing the files into PT shouldn't be a problem if all your files start at the same time, like kojdogg said.

Hey Mad Dude! Long time since we uhm conversed!
I'll be coming out of the mixer at insert point post pre. I thought about using one of my aux sends but I only have two on this board:mad:
But regardless what I do to the faders it won't effect the insert point level.

Hey Mad Dude! Long time since we uhm conversed!
I'll be coming out of the mixer at insert point post pre. I thought about using one of my aux sends but I only have two on this board:mad:
But regardless what I do to the faders it won't effect the insert point level.

Well then, nevermind! :D

Back