Filters vs. EQ's

nunyabusiness

Hello. I’ve read Blue Bears “mixing 101” thing. I was wondering if using filters would leave behind the same artifacts that EQ’s leave. I’m doing a mix down of a composition that primarily uses samplers (which have non-resonant high pass and low pass filters). I was thinking that I could change some filter settings to remove highs and lows from sounds that don’t need them. That would leave less for the eq’s to do in the mix down stage.

TexRoadkill said:
EQ's are a type of filter.

The Mixing 101 article says that “The addition of EQ into the signal chain always results in "some" compromise of the waveform by introducing phase-shifts.” Are my samplers filters likely to cause the same problem?

PS. What does comb filtering the waveform mean?

If you really want to learn about this stuff check out the articles at www.digido.com

Comparing the filters on your synth to the EQ on a board or DAW is apples and oranges. I would just go with whatever sounds best. I don't really think you will hear a big difference. It's not like synths need a pristine signal path anyway. These discussions are more relevant when dealing with miked sources.

Back