File transfer question

yert33

I record musical theater productions straight to my Tascam CDRW-700 using its analog inputs. Live stereo mix right from whatever console I happen to be using. Then I import the CD audio into CuBase LE. (I own CuBase Essentials but I haven't even used it yet). Then I export my mastered mix to a WAV file. Then I burn to a CD using CDBurnerXP.

They sound OK but I'm wondering if I'm losing inordinate amounts of "quality" from the transfers. Can anyone suggest a better way to do this?

TIA

The TASCAM CDRW-700 is creating your CDs (and subsequent files) at 16 bit 44.1 kHz...the CD standard.

You will not be able to "raise" that digital quality from that point on, no matter what happens in Cubase.

Of course...16 bit 44.1 kHz might not be all that bad to begin with, as long as the analog going in is of top quality.

You might want to go with a laptop and a higher rez soundcard/converters instead of the CDRW-700...or get a standalone recorder box that has better converters and higher rez.

miroslav

You might want to go with a laptop and a higher rez soundcard/converters instead of the CDRW-700...or get a standalone recorder box that has better converters and higher rez.

+1

It depends what your using cubase for. It sounds like your recording 16 bit audio into the tascam, then transferring this to cubase to do processing at 16 bit and then burning your final cd at 16.

It would be better to take your analog audio out of the console and capture and process that at 24 bit rather than at 16 bit before you make your final cd by going straight from your console to cubase (which might actually process at 32 bit - not sure).

Thank you both. I suppose recording directy to CuBase would be the ideal and then I could try a higher bitrate. If my output goal is CD (16-bit, 44.1, right?) you're saying that there is an advantage to recording at a higher bitrate. Why is that so?

TIA

It depends why and what your using cubase for.

If your doing any DSP, it's more advantages to do all your processing at the higher bit depth, and then go to 16 for the cd.

Also depending on what converters you have for your daw, they will probably be better than what's in the tascam.

I
They sound OK but I'm wondering if I'm losing inordinate amounts of "quality" from the transfers.
TIA

No . . . a more thorough response could fill (at least one) a book, even if I refrain from successive nested digressions and personal examples

In this kind of situation the primary 'limiting' variable for quality is going to reside in the 'analog' chain: material, performers, room, mics, mic positioning, pre amps used to get material to the analog to digital convertor

There is some benefit from using higher bitrates (the 'average' listener, typically, all else being equal, can't detect the difference between 16 and 20 bit recordings, no one I've ever met can detect, via ears alone, difference between 20 and 24 bit recordings) that benefit is most easily described as a larger signal to noise ratio (greater 'headroom') . . . This can translate into greater detail at the very beginning (transient attack) and very end (reverb tail) of any individual waveform (sample)

There is no way, based on information provided, for anyone to pretend they can have informed opinion as to whether your goals might even benefit from higher bit rate recording and that benefit would be swallowed by choices or gear, tools again, principally the analog sides of things

One of the nice things about working with digital audio is that once the original conversion is done you can transfer, distribute it among different media and storage options with no quality loss. So while nothing you do after the initial conversion is going to 'improve' the digital quality as a rule moving that data among different locations does nothing to diminish quality (there are separate cases for 'compressed' data (e.g. mp3's) where successive re-encoding of already compressed files continues to degrade them, and where successive copies of copies of CDs will gradually accumulate BLEM (errors) and eventually swamp a players error correction so you 'can' move digital data around and degrade it but you don't have to)

the main reason to look at the steps in your process is one of efficiency not 'quality' of digital audio

One clarification is that while post recording processing will not improve quality of the 'data', there are things one can do that can improve the 'listening' experience of the end user . . . at least the assumption that what I offer clients is not pure snake oil is, for me, a necessary conceit

Additionally I tend to record @ 24bit and process with 32bit floating point files and even from a commercial stand point tend to believe the higher bit depth is worth the cost in time and storage capacity. (and as I indicated in the beginning my reasons might well fill a book) (and I am not being critical of clients let alone asserting a snobbish aural superiority to suggest that majority of clients could not tell the difference between my working @ 32 bit vs. 16bit . . . Their focus, their area of expertise is different . . . And certainly one of the reasons I use 32 bit files is that I think the choice provides at least slight benefit in articulating a clients goals.)

On to the next question:
Can anyone suggest a better way to do this?

TIA

Quite honestly it seems a bit awkward (while mileage and experience varies, in my experience I've found CD 'burners' to be a less robust method for initial Analog to digital capture (then other options)) but simply do not have enough information to have informed opinion as to what might be a more effective approach.

In absence of some overriding 'stressor' I have also found some comfort in the approach of 'if it aint broke don't fix it.'

The variables I would examine would be expectations of clients (these are not merely the initial, original, ones, but clients expectations are dynamic. Even if you aren't trying to 'sell' them on something if you are doing your job (whoever the 'you' is, whatever the 'job' might be) how the client interacts with that effort will alter their expectations), final distribution of 'product', and budget. And budgets are always time as well as money. My original 'board mix' recordings were done on a Wallensac 7 in. Reel to reel tape recorder. About the only thing I haven't used with some regularity in the ensuing years is direct to CD recorder. Currently even if I'm multitracking 18 discrete tracks I use some variation of small hand held flash drive recorder (the Edirol R09 is my current default, and units I'd find to be acceptable range in price from roughly $200 on up to $3k) to capture the board mix. Even if I'm not officially recording a live show I'll usually grab the board mix plus at least one room mic). Most of current crop of SD hand helds support the high density cards (while I still tend to use 2 gig cards primarily because those are the ones I have) and a 4 gig card can comfortably store 3 hr. Of 24 bit stereo audio. Transferring to computer for processing takes me something like 6-8 (for the same 3 hr., even with usb2 exactly how long (theoretical max is roughly 6.9 min) depends on specific system . . . But as I did my original digital portable to computer via real time even 15 min transfer is quite an improvement . . . Accomplished a 2.7 gig transfer in under 8 min. Yesterday from a show Tues. night.). At some point I would expect some form of catastrophic failure on a SD card but the original 2 gig cards are at least three years old, still in heavy rotation and have not experienced even a single (among about twenty pieces) failure (yet . . . ). Additionally I find benefit in fact that Flash recorders run on batteries (Edirol uses 2 'AA' and a pair is usually good for about three four hour shows. Actually had a power strip fail in the Texas heat a week or so ago, casing didn't melt but it disintegrated internally . . . That failure impacted the show (marginally) but recorder didn't skip a beat. Though main reason for batts is to side step AC power issues in venues over whose ground and current, voltage I have zero control.

Even after several years there is less general penetration of the SD (or CF, etc.) Cards then, say, for CDs. If clients want to control initial digital transfer and their installed hardware base is CD then Flash drive recording might not be appropriate option it has been long enough since I checked that I'm not even sure whether consumer Windows (media player for example) supports 24 bit playback, for example . . . If distribution is primarily 'virtual' via networks then any form of CD can be a time consuming unnecessary step.

As I said don't really have enough info to know whether your approach is efficient let alone appropriate. Experience does suggest that for anything as inherently complex as consumer Audio (even if consumer is primarily cast) from musical theater then very seldom does altering one piece of primary hardware (or software) ever ends with just a single change. If this is not a primary revenue thread, if you are comfortable with process, comfortable with results (don't have unlimited time and money) I would suggest a careful analysis of what you hope to accomplish before you start swapping gear just to swap gear. Generally speaking you can gain more benefit from looking at gear in the analog end: mics, stands (attachment in general), EQ, compressors, snakes, board, speakers, etc. Then from minor perceived improvement in the digital realm.

the main reason to look at the steps in your process is one of efficiency not 'quality' of digital audio

I suppose that's really the issue.

Additionally I tend to record @ 24bit and process with 32bit floating point files and even from a commercial stand point tend to believe the higher bit depth is worth the cost in time and storage capacity.

Can you tell me exactly what you mean here?

Thanks for your response and insights.

I use the CD recorder basically because it allows me to review the mix on the drive home from the show. I'll look at the Edirol you mention.

My next goal is to record multi-track so I can get better mixes in post. Looking for an expansion chassis like the Magma Express Box that would allow me to bring my MOTU 2408 and attach it to my laptop thus getting 8 tracks at once. Does this sound like a reasonable approach?

Thanks for replying. I'll need to read your posts a couple of times to make sure I get everything.

Can you tell me exactly what you mean here? [24 & 32 bit files]

It gets a tad complicated to be succinct. The off the cuff response is that I find, in the studio to get better transient details (particularly on percussion where I might be pushing limits of signal to noise (s/n) dynamics (16 bit can represent (roughly) 96 dB s/n, 24 bit 144 dB s/n (though no real world devices can support that limit, and generally you get 90-114 real world dynamics))

That dynamic range is useful for almost all acoustic instruments. As one of the reasons for using acoustic instruments and mics is to incorporate instrument-room interactions as a component of the music (or when doing vid work to provide some sort of ambient location directionality) being able to represent reverb tails more accurately (with 24 bit) is also useful. (though as I said I have never met anyone capable of detecting difference between 20 and 24 bit recordings . . . For software reasons standard became 24 bit) The expanded dynamics at both top and tail of amplitude is required during the initial analog to digital transfer . . . While recording

And for a variety of reasons it has far fewer benefits in a typical live show recording (other variables interfere with any theoretic benefit from higher bit rate conversion) . . . But generally speaking I tend to stay with 24bit for consistency and for those situations in which it actually helps (and the better the venue (acoustically speaking) the subtler, more nuanced the content and performance the greater the benefit from higher bit rate conversion . . ., very generally speaking 'spoken' word does not fall into category where higher bit rates will greatly enhance the ultimate distribution product. The down side to higher bit rate conversion is vastly increases storage requirements and processing time . . . These are budgetary concerns (both time and money) . . . And for any commercial endeavor become significant variables

Conversion bit rates are, by necessity, accomplished via integer math (on off, high low voltage, 1 or 0) . . . For conversion you have no choice the integer math is what makes it 'digital'. But any calculation with integer math opens you up 'rounding' errors. I work with projects that integrate 1 to hundreds of individual files, all blended in some way, the files can have from 0 to hundreds of individual calculations each calculation (and the 'blends' entail calculations as well) exposes the project to 'rounding' errors over the course of the project the accumulation of error can impact results negatively (is floating point vs. Integer going to be detectable to most? Ask the PT universe) Not ever trying to 'sell' floating point editing but I was willing back in days of PIII 750mHz systems to migrate and over the past decade + feel benefits, for me justify choice

Additionally 32bit models above 0 dB you still clip on play back but the file is scalable . . . So on an ITB mix if you cross the 0 dB threshold you just scale the render back to appropriate levels . . . No info is lost

I use the CD recorder basically because it allows me to review the mix on the drive home from the show. I'll look at the Edirol you mention.

My next goal is to record multi-track so I can get better mixes in post. Looking for an expansion chassis like the Magma Express Box that would allow me to bring my MOTU 2408 and attach it to my laptop thus getting 8 tracks at once. Does this sound like a reasonable approach?

Thanks for replying. I'll need to read your posts a couple of times to make sure I get everything.

Over the years I might have used nearly every approach to tracking live performance that could be attempted on a budget (including several instances where the budget scaled to afford a genuine remote sound truck), starting with mono reel to reel and its built in mic.

The handful of experience derived wisdom tends to focus around a couple of things I've already said:

If it aint broke don't expect 'fixing' it to greatly improve quality

This networks nicely with idea that if you don't have clear idea of goals, expectations and limits of technology to articulate those goals your choices are going to be random and primarily based on magical thinking (Jimi used a stratocastor, therefore if I use a stratocaster I'll be as famous as Jimi! It's obvious) The 'problem' (which might not even be defined as a problem by most of a project's collaborators) to be fixed might well be best addressed by different mics, different mic distribution rather then assuming that additional 'channels' will permit things to be fixed in the mix. A serious delimiter of 'goal' has to be final distribution. Something that needs to be turned around in 72 hr. For Web cast flash distribution has different physical criteria then HiDef BluRay with separate DVD-A soundtrack. (not talking about quality of work merely physical, technical limitations of distribution)

This brings in the third clever rule of thumb: Three body problem: Quick, Cheap, Good! You get to choose two!

And my experience suggests that increasing number of tracks, for processing in post, does not increase effort arithmetically, leans in direction of geometric, depending on degree of obsession can border on exponential and occasionally (depending more on client then technician) drops into black hole of quantum shift per track

Personally even for down & dirty two track distribution I prefer at least four track recorders (in a pinch can use 3 but those are getting tougher to find), but if I either have no control over, or trust in, house mix then 8 track, to me, seems a perfectly reasonable approach. (but I also try to not do any of this stuff for free anymore so goals, expectations of clients is my primary delimiter . . . Plus I have to willing to stick my name on that final distribution (or it actually costs more, I'll do it crappy for more money, not less).

And the more stuff there is: more 'hand' hours it takes to load in load out set up tear down monitor; more stuff to go wrong and it is always a matter of 'when' not if something fails. Using a set up similar to what I've used for years exactly the same as what I had used every two weeks since end of March experienced a difficult to diagnose problem that was based on a power strip 'clipping', unable to transmit current @ voltage, intermittently. If we had suddenly had increased current demands for our gear, if it was (on subsequent tests) relegated to one specific circuit (@ one venue), if it was due to failure of power strip; issue would have been much easier to understand. Fortunately, while power strip continues to work fine at home, was able to retire it that night because I had two backups. (interestingly enough in the studio had a power strip disintegrate from the inside out during the same week, which I replaced from one at the house and the one that 'clipped' during show replaces that home unit . . . Slightly more then arithmetic complexity) But I'm also quite sure that within the month I'll experience an issue for which I am not already carrying belt and suspenders (or two belts + suspenders + vehicle capable of transporting, time to load in load out, etc.). Whether expansion chassis (have used PCI docking stations + laptops to track up to 24 tracks) + MOTU 2408 (used f/w 828 in both original & MkII variants for a number of years) is 'reasonable' for you can only be determined by you

Whether it's reasonable depends on your goals not on the gear itself . . . The gear you list is provided by relatively dependable vendors, it does the job it was theoretically designed to do (this excludes marketing claims entirely, which are drug pusher inducements to magical thinking). Your Tascam CD recorder is never going to magically crowd 3 hr. Of 16/44 data on a single disk . . . But it might well continue to do an excellent job of tracking 79.9 min of 16/44 that you can review on the way home for a lot of years (my current player in the truck has SD slot so audition CD's are gradually giving way to more flexible SD cards . . . But this happened as natural migration, process I used didn't have to change merely the required hand held recorder when back to using media that was also efficient in the studio (not unlike audio cassettes) introducing CD-R's was, on the other hand far more problematic and if Minidisc tech had ever been more robust I might have sidestepped much of the CD-R (for music) entirely . . . But Sony, yet again had entirely dysfunctional marketing and the media was far too expensive, but again what's reasonable for me should not be same for anyone else)

Without knowing goals and expectations it is impossible to say whether any individuals approach to specific gear is 'reasonable' or a function of magical thinking. I don't particularly like stratocasters but there is no 'reasonable' objective reason to not select that tech as a primary instrument. But to select that gear with expectation that it will make one as famous as Jimi is 'unreasonable'. I am fairly certain OP was cognizant of most of that . . . Also fairly certain that they 'knew' their gear already did the job it was designed to do . . . One does not typically get to Magma chassis without some awareness of tech limits

Initial question revolved around issue for which there is a lot of subjective speculation (quality vs. File specs, opinions concerning quality of convertors (though he did not specifically address that) on Tascam unit, etc. . . . Unfortunately, not merely more novices, all aesthetic fields of endeavor are saturated with magical thinking you can't avoid it . . . You can't even avoid participating it: 16 bit files have these parameters, 24 bit these. Which is better? Objectively, except within context of specific content, specific project who knows? If 'content' consisted primarily of a live performance, in a converted bowling alley, of harmonium, tracked via a pair of $100 SDC omni's I would be hard pressed to 'objectively' make a case for 24 bit being 'better' (though if paid enough money I'd certainly be willing to try) If someone is pursuing home recording solely as 'hobby' their own material for their own edification I pretty much don't have any opinion about anything . . . If someone is seeking to provide a service to 3rd party clients then the guiding principles tend to flexibility, tools that provide the best cost/benefit across the range of anticipated endeavor

Back