File Exports In Cakewalk

TYRANT_26

i'm just starting out with cakewalk pro and i must say i love the program. but i have a problem. when i mix the final cut it sounds great but when i transfer it over to wave and burn it sounds diffrent the volumes are always lower then the org. and the effects are not as powerful. does anyone know how to fix this or is it just something u have to get used to and fix by ear

The exported wave should be pretty much an exact replica of the mix. If it is not, you are doing something wrong.

However, if you are speaking about burning it to a CD and playing it back on a different system (e.g, in your car), then the difference is more likely the result of the different playback system. If you are playing the wave on the same system that you are mixing on, it should be the same.

Let's not get hasty here.

I just had the MOST unusual experience yesterday.

I "mastered" a CD of a couple songs that another engineer mixed in Sonar. I was hanging out while it was being mixed. In "real time", the mix sounded wonderful.

When he "exported" the mix to a stereo wave file, 24 bit, and I opened it in Wavelab (same soundcard), the mix sounded VERY different. Things seemed a bit out of time and a sort of "hazy" sound was evident!!!

Me and Slackmaster are currently talking about this in chat while I write this. I am going to try a digital out to digital in "mix" and compare that to a "export wave file" mix in Sonar to see if there is in fact a difference in what you hear "real time" to what an "exported" track sounds like. I am VERY interested in this...

Ed

...I've been there too. I mixed several tracks in SONAR, and had the result just fine in the mix. When I export it, blah... it's slightly different. Some in a good way (fatter) but some in bad way (kind like effect bleeding etc). Then I try to figure it out, what went wrong... I aim at that plugins in the master output. I mention there's a different result in put the effect on the insert, and applying the effect to the wave block (destructive mix). Even if we have exactly same effect set. So I remix it again. I bounce all tracks into two (L/R) tracks, and apply the master effect to both tracks, and export the wave WITHOUT any plugins in the master section, just export plain and clear. I have better (closer) exported result than the first shoot. So IMHO, you'll wanna try mix it my way and see if it helps...
;)

I'll be interested in your findings as well, Ed. I have been exporting Sonar mixes to Wavelab for a couple of years now and never saw a difference except for when I did something stupid (like having an aux bus point to a different set of Mains).

I'd like to know a couple of things, like are you boucning the mix to a stereo track internally within Sonar first before exporting to a wave? Are all the tracks and busses pointing to the same V-Main? Any plugins on the Mains?

I still think it's something in the setup somewhere, but if it's possible I would like to know that (and more importantly, under what conditions).

And, btw, whatcha doing in the Sonar forum? You lost?? :)

Just to chime in here, I've 'exported' mixes in one of my recent projects that had, on different songs/attempts, different whole (or even parts) of tracks missing in the output file. But when I used 'bounce to tracks' then exported that, all is fine. Both methods included a Timeworks comp on the v-main, and some printed effects tracks, as well as all the real-time track inserts.
I've been just using the second method for now, mostly caus' I just don't want to deal with it right now. You know, you just wan't to get the work done.
More trouble shooting, tests, comparisons, do this, don't do that...

Also, Can't save a bun if the project gets too big!? Running into that too.
bitch, bitch, bitch.:rolleyes:
Wayne

File exports

Hey this is a very good topic. I' think I've been doing things the hard way myself. Bouncing everything to a track and then tweaking this ruff audio track in Sound Forge. To go to CD I'll burn from there or record it straight into a rack mount CD writer. I've used some of my final products in night clubs on huge systems. I've been using this program since version 1.0 and have never even used the file export option. Judging from the post here you guys are getting mixed results from file export even though this maybe be a better way to master. Unfortunately I'm on the USS George Washington now and I don't have my manual here. Would one of you good gents take a look in the good book and see what cakewalk recommends?

kgbjamin, I don't recall reading where one would be better than the other. One the surface, they 'appear' to be the the same process, wrighting or compiling the mix, just sending it to different destinations.

James. I had an unusual thing happen similar to what you said, where a realtime plug was different done destructively. At the time i wrote it off to me mixing on headphones, being late, I was tired, ect., I applied comp to a pair of guitars after setting it up in realtime, then went to bed. Next day, I found I had killed these two tracks- way overboard. Figured it was from staying at it to long, now I'm not so sure.

Someone wise said "Never turn your back on digital"
Wayne

Interesting. I just started a thread about changes to tracks that are imported into sonar, especially mp3 conversion.

When I make rough mixes, or 'mastered' mixes (i use the term lightly, meaning my final mix, and I am no masterer - panning, effects, levels, compression, basic eq) I haven't bounced to 2 tracks, just export all tracks.

Is this a bad thing?

adam said:
Interesting. I just started a thread about changes to tracks that are imported into sonar, especially mp3 conversion.

When I make rough mixes, or 'mastered' mixes (i use the term lightly, meaning my final mix, and I am no masterer - panning, effects, levels, compression, basic eq) I haven't bounced to 2 tracks, just export all tracks.

Is this a bad thing?

I just started using 'bounce' for the convenience of having a mix right there in the project that you can preview, compare to the mix, edit fades and trim whatever. Far as that goes, you can even try 'mastering':eek: tweaks right there in the project.
Don't forget to turn off any plugs in the V-main of cource, or you'll hear/export them twice.
wayne

...well, I'm a bit too lazy to start new thread, so I'll ask here. Does anyone know what the yellow / green square led indicates next to your plugins in the track insert ? I thought it was Pre / Post switch, but hey... I'm not so sure anymore. I leave it green most the time. Anyone ?
:cool:

I have a question. My setup has extra V-mains for effects. They feed the main 2-buss. Is that a typical configuration? (Adam and Sonusman?) If that is your routing, any chance part of the 'export' weirdness is effects-mains NOT being excluded in the export process?
Wayne

James Argo said:
...well, I'm a bit too lazy to start new thread, so I'll ask here. Does anyone know what the yellow / green square led indicates next to your plugins in the track insert ? I thought it was Pre / Post switch, but hey... I'm not so sure anymore. I leave it green most the time. Anyone ?
:cool:

That's the by-pass. Very important if you'r exporting 2-mix-tracks with plugs on the main's like I do. (I wonder how many time I left them 'on and didn't notice. It'd be easy to do with just a comp plug hitting twice...)
Wayne

Back