File clean up on Fostex MR-8HD

Marlin Vrbas

I love my Fostex MR-8HD, especially now that I have learned how to use all the features & bouncing tricks. But now I am learning that it is a dinosaur. The only problem, and what brought me to this site, is how to delete up unused files. I see there is a menu command for some versions, but not the 8HD, unless I am missing something. Anybody know? I expect the HD system manages & reuses disk space. But being able to delete unused files would make backups more reasonably sized. Thanks.

"Delete" only marks the files as unwanted but does not remove them from the disk. The only way to clean up the disk is to reformat.
So download the files you want to keep on to your PC and "Format" the disk. See p124 of the User Manual.

The history of the MR series suggests that they were designed to act as a front end recorder to a PC based editing system. The addition of a hard drive and then a CD burner were afterthoughts and the DOS used was very rudimentary. A proper disk housekeeping system was never included.

I record a complete project, burn to CD or download to PC and then re-format the disk. (MR16 HD/CD)

Last edited:
Back