Figure 8 overhead?

SinisterRouge

Well, I plan to record real drums this summer. I've been creating drums with midi software (Cubase, Nuendo, Reason -NNXT sampler- ) and samples (NS kit) for the last 2 years and I think it's time for the next step.
So I have a Shure SM57 for the snare, an AKG D112 (soon) for the bass drum and a Behringer Measurement ECM8000 omni for... measuring (I don't like it as an overhead mic).
I plan to buy 2 Studio Projects B1 mics, or 1 Studio Projects B1 and 1 Studio Projects B3. I'll probably buy 1 B1 and 1 B3 but if I only buy the B3 (can't afford both right now) could I just use it in figure 8 for overhead? Will I have a hole in the stereo image? I know you that can use a figure 8 mic and a cardioid for a wider stereo field but what happens if you just use the figure 8?
By the way the SP B1 is only cardioid and the SP B3 has: cardioid, omni and figure 8.

SinisterRouge said:
Yeah, I know but there's a way to turn MS Stereo to stereo (L=M+S, R=M-S) so can you do the same way L=+S, R=-S ???

flipping the phase on the sides is just going to give you an out of phase signal that you're mixing with an in phase signal. panned mono they will cancel out, and panned hard L/R you'll still hear weird phasing issues. you need the M signal to make the sound source sound....ummm...good. ;) :cool:

Back