figure-8 on toms, how to split

innobidova

If two toms are miked using a condenser on figure-8, can two separate tracks be achieved for the individual toms? I figure maybe the track could be duplicated, and then the two tracks could be gated accordingly so that you only hear the higher tom on one track and the lower tom on the other track. I realize it probably wouldn't be worth the hassle, but I just want to know if it can be or has been done.

Last edited:
I was going to say "no" at first, but after thinking about it, you could do it on a computer. You would just duplicate the tracks, pan them, and then cut everything but the tom hits for the individual toms. It might not sound too good and would be a pain to edit, but yes I suppose you could.

Yeah you could do it, but it would be an ass load of cuts and fades to make everything sound decent. Possible but time consuming.

innobidova said:
If two toms are miked using a condenser on figure-8, can two separate tracks be achieved for the individual toms? I figure maybe the track could be duplicated, and then the two tracks could be gated accordingly so that you only hear the higher tom on one track and the lower tom on the other track. I realize it probably wouldn't be worth the hassle, but I just want to know if it can be or has been done.
what you do is add a near coincident omni and treat it as a m/s stereo. but whybother? You aren't going to pan them in the final mix (unless you want to create the special effect of having your listening position be between the two toms).

One tom will end up out of phase with the other. You are better off just sticking a cardioid between the two toms and just running them to one track. Or get a couple tom mics.

Back