fielding inquiries to master my solo classical guitar project

kmaaj

This is not so much an auditioning of ME's on my part, per se, rather, more of an auditioning of my own workflow and processes and see if something decent comes from a mastered sample.

My biggest disappointments are that I can now hear the carpet's effect, and there are lots of places where the lows and low mids "thump" on cheaper and more common listening devices. I put one of the more problematic pieces in those regards up on my Soundcloud page, a raw version and a mixed down version. If you can give it a listen, and give a minute sample of how you'd approach it, and include your rates in your reply, I'd appreciate it.

If you think it is totally unusable and that I should retrack under better circumstances, I'm open to that opinion as well. We have a spare bedroom opening up in a couple of months, and the Mrs. suggested we give it a full blown sound treatment and make it a music room.

There is 13 songs 55 minutes worth of audio, and I will more than likely shave off one or two of the weakest tracks prior to release.

Thanks,

Ken Whisler

https://soundcloud.com/ken-whisler

I'm more of a flamenco guitarist, but I play some classical on the side. What sound are you going for? From what I heard in Deep River, it doesn't sound incredibly mellow but it isn't bad at all!

Although, I can't really tell because I haven't heard that type of song at all with classical guitar. The songs I'm most acquainted with are songs like Asturias, Recuerdos de la Alhambra, Variations of Mozart, Lagrima.

Now, I'm not a ME but I think the tone is okay. Certainly not unusable.

Saw your post at GS. I'm truly sorry for the amount of PM's you're going to have to deal with.

If you get tired of them, shoot me an e-mail and we'll work something out. :D

I'm more of a flamenco guitarist, but I play some classical on the side. What sound are you going for? From what I heard in Deep River, it doesn't sound incredibly mellow but it isn't bad at all!

Although, I can't really tell because I haven't heard that type of song at all with classical guitar. The songs I'm most acquainted with are songs like Asturias, Recuerdos de la Alhambra, Variations of Mozart, Lagrima.

Now, I'm not a ME but I think the tone is okay. Certainly not unusable.

This arrangement is the one arrangement on the project that I did not do myself. It was arranged by Timothy Walker and performed by Parkening on his "Sacred Music for Classical Guitar" record, later released on CD as "Simple Gifts". I play it considerably slower than Chris did, and my general tone is quite a bit brighter. I prefer Parkening's live sound; his recorded sound never really worked for me.

On a side note, I think in general flamenco is recorded differently than classical. I've seen pics of Paco Pena in the studio with the mic's right on the guitar, whereas classical guitarists typically have the mics at least a few feet away.

On another side note, how many nickels do you have for when people ask you to play "that flamingo music, like Roy Clark does...."?

Saw your post at GS. I'm truly sorry for the amount of PM's you're going to have to deal with.

If you get tired of them, shoot me an e-mail and we'll work something out. :D

Actually, I was expecting that and am surprised at how little response I have gotten. My soundcloud page got lots of hits after posting the inquiry here, but hardly any after posting at GS.

It's not a true "classical" recording, but it does involve classical guitar sound and technique, so most important is that whoever takes this on understands and has some experience dealing with the inherent quirks of the instrument. I build guitars,and I had never realized how boomy my own guitars are until I started recording.

This arrangement is the one arrangement on the project that I did not do myself. It was arranged by Timothy Walker and performed by Parkening on his "Sacred Music for Classical Guitar" record, later released on CD as "Simple Gifts". I play it considerably slower than Chris did, and my general tone is quite a bit brighter. I prefer Parkening's live sound; his recorded sound never really worked for me.

On a side note, I think in general flamenco is recorded differently than classical. I've seen pics of Paco Pena in the studio with the mic's right on the guitar, whereas classical guitarists typically have the mics at least a few feet away.

On another side note, how many nickels do you have for when people ask you to play "that flamingo music, like Roy Clark does...."?

I gotchya. It certainly shows in the recordings.

As for the flamingo thing, I would have zero nickels. :D I've seen it on the internet many times but I've never come across it outside. That's probably because I only discuss it with people who are knowledgeable in the subject, or if I don't, I simply say "flamenco" before they have a chance to say the genre, thus eradicating any potential mishaps.

Back