field recording

notbradsohner

Compression Addict
Hello all,
I'm trying to help my brother out here.

He's a photojournalism student and is looking to start collecting audio in the field. We were thinking shotgun to go along with his h4, but weren't sure which mic. Obviously, there's not much funding to work with, so if you have any suggestions under roughly $250, we would love to hear them.

thanks.

How do you want to capture the audio? As input to a video camera? Stereo ambiance? Documentary? Lots of options, just not many good ones at that price point.

Zoom H2 if you need something decent, but not always useful depending on HOW you'll be using it.

You could also get one of those juiced link or beachtek preamps and feed almost any mic to a recorder that way. Was that $250 for the whole kit, or just the mic(s)? Were you wanting mono? stereo? 5.1 surround? 7.1 surround? Too many options without more details.

Never mind, got the H4 reference now. Zoom H4 I assume. So stereo and you already have most of the kit per say. I've heard of people putting some pantyhose over the H4 to cut the wind noise on it's stock mics. You could get quite a bit of those for $250.

Audio Technica has some options. AT 825 - but a bit higher in price $300-$550.

Rode NTG-1 - $249-ish

And others mostly Rode at that price point. If you're outdoors you definitely want some windscreens. If the budget is $500-ish (2 mics $250 each), there's a ton more options.

It would be used mainly for interviews and ambient sound; outside and inside.

We were looking at one mic only, and the NTG-1 looks like a solid bet. (the pantyhose seem like a more economically feasible option though...)

thanks for the help!

Back