Fender vs G&L

Top Jimmy

I kind of started this debate in my "Wolfgang" post. Here's the deal: I have my dream guitar in mind. It's a natural finished strat with two single coils and a humbucker, maple fret board and black pickguard and knobs.

I can get either a G&L S-500 made to my specs or a Fender Amercian Deluxe with a few changes. Both dealers want the same cash with my trade.

The Fender dealer says the G&L won't hold its value and of course the G&L dealer says the S-500 is a "real" Strat. I'm leaning towards the G&L partly because the guy says he can have it in three weeks and Ive heard some good things about them in this group.

Any thoughts?

It depends what you want. Strats will hold their value better than G&L's but G&L (and a whole lot of others) make better "Strats" (before people chuck stuff at me, I play a Strat and love my guitar--but they definitely have flaws--I did a fair amount of customizing before I was happy, and I still have some more to do on it).

Top,
I would go with the G&L. They still build Strats with Leo's vision in mind and come closer to the original Strats than any of the new Fender stuff. As far as future value goes---I wouldn't worry about it. New guitars will never go up in value as much or as fast as thier vintage parents. At least in my oppinion. And from what you have written, it sounds as though you are looking for a guitar to play; not a guitar to sell.

I bought one of the first G&L guitars when they first came out over twenty years ago and I still own it. (Signed by Leo himself!)
My F100 still plays and sounds better than any new Strat model available... Period.
I've owned a few Strats in my 25 years of playing, but the only good ones were pre-CBS. Those old ones were the real deal, for sure, but not this new stuff.
Fender only continues to sell guitars these days due to name recognition. Most of what they manufacture now is junk.
The last good Fender guitar was a '72 Tele Thinline, after that, it was all downhill.
Grab that G&L while you can, you won't be disappointed.

1984 G&L F-100 Series II

I jus bought an 1984 G&L series II that is in really nice condition. It has the natural finish and came in the original Tolex case which also was in very good condition. I bought it from the original owner. I have heard it referred as a "Sonic Turd" which I can see but I just liked the thin neck, the fantastic action and the fact that it was not made on an assemble line. Leo had some input in its creation. I had a Fender Fat Strat which was nice but this axe has some history which for me is cool. I also have a Jerry Reid Tradition which has more sounds avaiable than anything you can but today with a great flat neck. I guess I really like the 7 1/2 degree radius neck on the G&L.

I own both a G&L ASAT and a Fender tele. I love them both. They are different, but both are well made (at least mine are :D ). I've never heard anything bad about G&L from any of my peers that own them and I have nothing but good things to say about them myself. I love my ASAT to pieces and it's a truly well made and great sounding guitar in every aspect.
My old bass player had a custom G&L made and he freaked out about it. He loves and covets it like it is the son of jesus. :rolleyes:
Whichever you choose, Im sure it will be good.

Luck,
Todd

Is your guitar going to be a tool or an investment? If its a tool, get the G&L. If it's an investment, get the Fender.

I have been a Fender fan since 1959 but although I have had a few and still have two srtats I think Fender have lost the plot and are going to go round and round in ever decreasing circles untill they disappear up their own arses. History has a way of recreating itself.
I have only heard good about G&L

I had a blond S-500. It was the best sounding strat I ever had! It played killer too!

Here it is doing some funk:

Here it is some some sort of "pop-punk" type of thing:

I dearly miss that guitar now, and really wished I didn't sell it. It was an amazing guitar!

I would think more than one second making my choice. The G&L any day of the week!

Well since Leo Fender no longer has any real association with Fender guitars and everything to do with G & L, I would think that G & L are maintaining the standard. That's just my opinion.

hueseph said:
Well since Leo Fender no longer has any real association with Fender guitars and everything to do with G & L...

Leo has no real association with anybody anymore. He hasn't since March 21, 1991.

Oh, and for the record, I love both my Fender Strat and my Fender Tele, but I sure would love one of those ASAT Classic semihollow Bluesboy's.

I'm sure either will be great :)

I have one of the new American Deluxe Strats and it plays and sounds just great. I really like the new SCN pups - they don't sound like a 'vintage' strat at all, they have a warmer, more meaty tone. It's still definitly a strat sound - but a more modern one. The S1 switching is also well worth having IMO.

The neck is just beautiful - one of the most comfortable I've ever played. All the little extras (such as locking tuners) are nice too.

Here's my review of the Strat on epinions:
http://www.epinions.com/content_192912920196

Here's my baby:
http://tinyurl.com/8tonf
http://tinyurl.com/7zwcu
http://tinyurl.com/8f58v

Way to resurrect the 5 and a half year old thread guys!

I remember reading this one when I first joined up....

I bought a strat in 1976....it was already 10 years old. Im still playing it, but, the input jack has started shorting out in the past couple of weeks...so yeah, I guess you can say fenders are junk! :rolleyes:

Wow, talk about a win-win sintuation. I'd say to evaluate both guitars and get the one you like the most. Feel and sound should be the deciding factor.
:)

Armistice said:
Way to resurrect the 5 and a half year old thread guys!

I remember reading this one when I first joined up....

Yeah...oops..... :p

If you click on his name and look at all his posts as well - the last time he even posted anything was 2002.

So I geuss we all just really want to talk about our G&L's and Fender's.....cause we're not really helping this guy.....

Back