Fender Jazz - why did I wait so long?

Garry Sharp

Lost Cause
Well, I never liked the way they looked, thought Fenders were over hyped, thought I could do better.....but I thought I needed a bass more suited to funk and slap, tried a few J's today and now an MIA Jazz has a new home :)

My G&L is up for sale, my Manson fretless will always be here as my ersatz double bass, but the Jazz.....I'm just blown away. I swear it plays itself, it's absurdly easy to play. And the sound...don't get me started on the sound...even my fiancee the singer was jumping up and down when I got it home and played it (and she's a singer :)) .

It's a beautiful thing :) (Still ugly though - what's with that plastic pickguard???)

Garry Sharp said:
It's a beautiful thing :) (Still ugly though - what's with that plastic pickguard???)

It's routed underneath until it cries, so something's gotta cover it up.

I started with a P-Bass, wanted a J but couldn't afford it. Enjoy!

mshilarious said:
It's routed underneath until it cries, so something's gotta cover it up.

Yeah, I guessed that was down to all they could do with 60's technology, and that they kept it the same since as it became kind of iconic. I had a Rick for a while (I sold it after a few months) that had enough plastic surface to hold a small drinks party on! Funny that when I was a teenager my Dad used to import American cars (I live in the UK), this was in the 70's, and there is something quintessentially American about both the Rick and the Jazz that somehow reminds me of those cars he's bring in from the docks. Strange how design cues work.

mshilarious were Precisions cheaper than Jazzes? My G&L has a P-style neck and I was struggling with it as I moved into funkier and slap style playing - which is why I went looking for a J, but the prices seem to be about the same?

Yeah, seems like the difference used to be larger. I paid $400 for a P in 1985, I think the J's were $550 or $600. These were both USA made. I don't think there was a Mexican or Japanese J bass back then, there was the Squire Precision but that was a real toy compared with the USA models.

The USA models are now $1000 :eek:

Well $1000 now is actually quite a bit less than $400 in 1985 money, especially when compared to average monthly earnings rather than the Retail Price Index. I paid £800 for the Jazz, which looks very expensive in US$ terms at the crazy 1.95 exchange rate, but music (and computer) stuff works on a $1=£1 rate - it's even worse for folk in continental Europe.

The early Squiers (sp?) you mentioned are now being sold as vintage, it seems, I saw one today in a high end used shop for quite a hefty price.

Anyway the white plastic pickguard on my new J is gonna have to go, it's horrible. I guess there are lots of aftermarket ones I can choose from.

Garry Sharp said:
The early Squiers (sp?) you mentioned are now being sold as vintage, it seems, I saw one today in a high end used shop for quite a hefty price.

That's incredible. The early ones generally had good necks, but the bodies were some sort of super light wood, and the electronics were crap.

I've had two, including a beautiful 98 MIA, but I never liked the sound and I can't play that skinny little neck. I need em wide and flat, I guess.

It's awesome that you found your sound, though. Congratulations! :)

Thanks Tacurtis - you're a P neck guy then? :)

Anyway I took the pickguard off for a look - there's not much routing underneath, just for the neck p/u and its wires, plus a little orphan round hole. Otherwise the cheap plastic is just covering up the lovely sunburst paint job.

Good job on the find!

I use a MIM Fender Jazz for recording, and no matter what the style, it ALWAYS works in the mix. This fact actually dissapoints me a little, as my Warwick Thumb often as not has to sit in the corner (it works for some things, but it seems to be very picky.) I've had mine for four years, and it's served me better than anything else could have.

I hope you have as much fun as I do!

Yeah, I know what you mean about the Warwick, in a way I wish it had worked out better for me with the G&L. My Manson fretless is still my first love, but boy she's a bit neglected at the moment.

Garry Sharp said:
Thanks Tacurtis - you're a P neck guy then? :)

Absolutely. (I even tried putting a Precision neck on my MIM Jazz to try to "fix" it, but it didn't help!)

Here's my baby:

BRC010047.jpg

. . . although, hey, I DO have a J pickup at the bridge, whaddya know!

My other bass is a G&L Tribute L2000.

You said you're selling your G&L??

These posts are fun :)

Yeah, the first thing my gf said was - it looks like a Strat. And as you say, so easy to play. The neighbours are suffering as I learn to slap though; more enthusiasm than technique at this stage ;)

The Panzer Bass looks great T.A. Yeah, I'm selling the G&L if I can find a good home for it, I just don't like the neck and I'd rather it lived somewhere it would get used.

Back