Fender Classic Player Jaguar

frank1985

What do you guys think of this guitar? I’m looking for a new “number one” that’s easier to play than my John Mayer 2011 strat. While it sounds great, my small hands have a tough time playing chords towards the nut. I play mostly psychedelic, surf and shoegaze so the trem arm gets used a lot. I feel a mustang would be more suitable for this. Question is, do I compromise in terms of cost and settle for the classic player series, or would it be worth stretching a little more for something further upmarket? Are there really substantial improvements with something like an American Professional?

Last edited:
In 1990 the American STD offered many quality upgrades. It has been a while since I looked at new models.

Don't buy some 'GUYS NAME' guitar.

If you have a Stratocaster already use that. Buy a book that details methods to get a proper playing instrument.

Don't gimme that BS about your little girly hands neither.

Play the thing.

I think the player series are great guitars. I think the American Fenders are great guitars too. I know if you buy used that you would have no problem getting your money back out of either one. I used to be in direct sales and helped people make buying decisions.
So, first you have to decide which you would rather have....the Mexican or the American.
If it were me, I would rather have the American. So, I assume you would too if the price were the same on both.

What's the price difference...$400?
If it will be your new #1 you could very well be playing this guitar on a regular basis for at least 5 or 6 years.

So, if you just played it for 5 years that translates into $80 a year or $6 a month.
The question would be is it worth $6 a month, to you, to have the guitar you WANT instead of the guitar you have to settle for?
The selling price is a moot point anyway if you ever decide to sell it because you will either recoup your initial investment or make money IMO.
I'm going to make an offer on a made in USA strat tomorrow. Will it be more money than I want to cough up in one pop?
Yes.
But, applying my reasoning above it is a $6 a month decision.
Will I settle for a guitar I don't like as well to save $6 a month.
No way in hell I'm gonna do that.

Last edited:
I think the player series are great guitars. I think the American Fenders are great guitars too. I know if you buy used that you would have no problem getting your money back out of either one. I used to be in direct sales and helped people make buying decisions.
So, first you have to decide which you would rather have....the Mexican or the American.
If it were me, I would rather have the American. So, I assume you would too if the price were the same on both.

What's the price difference...$400?
If it will be your new #1 you could very well be playing this guitar on a regular basis for at least 5 or 6 years.

So, if you just played it for 5 years that translates into $80 a year or $6 a month.
The question would be is it worth $6 a month, to you, to have the guitar you WANT instead of the guitar you have to settle for?
The selling price is a moot point anyway if you ever decide to sell it because you will either recoup your initial investment or make money IMO.
I'm going to make an offer on a made in USA strat tomorrow. Will it be more money than I want to cough up in one pop?
Yes.
But, applying my reasoning above it is a $6 a month decision.
Will I settle for a guitar I don't like as well to save $6 a month.
No way in hell I'm gonna do that.
It's actually the 'classic player' series rather than the 'fender player'...but yeah, the same reasoning applies i guess. The price difference is about 4-500, and i'm in no rush to buy really, so considering it'll probably be my main guitar i'll save up for the american pro. Glad I didn't buy on impulse last night.

Back